Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Self Referential


7th grade world history. It was the last Monday of the school year. The students had a study guide for their final (which was going to be Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, depending on which period class it was).

The day went pretty well. I had the usual issues with fidget spinners or slime, but most of the students were actually finding answers and getting ready for their final.

As I always do, I let the class know that if they were having difficulty with any of the assignment, they could ask me. (That's my job, after all.) Some even took me up on my offer.

One boy 'round about 4th period pointed out the question he couldn't find the answer to:
What do we call the scientific laws that describe how objects move in space? 
It took me a moment longer than it should have, really. But once it hit me...

Because, yeah, I know the answer to that question. And I don't even have to look it up.

I chuckled as I scanned the boy's book to point out the answer. I would have loved to explain to him why I found this so funny, but he wouldn't have gotten it.

But you will.

Don't know the answer? It's right here on this page. Scroll up. Keep going. See those words right at the top of the page? In white on a purple background? Yes, I'm talking about the title of my blog...

Some days the jokes are just for me.

25 comments:

  1. Brilliant ... and yes too funny! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG how perfect. Makes me think there might be something out there with a cosmic sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the universe gives you gifts, say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh..Science the grade I got a D in. I just finished watching Genius too...about Einstein

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been watching Genius, too. I'm only about 4 episodes in. But this was a history class.

      Delete
  5. haha.....that is funny. If he only knew. Science....I was not a big fan of that subject, even less fan of Math. Loved history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they were studying the Enlightenment. Renaissance for sure.

      Delete
  6. That's fantastic! Thanks for the giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I d didn't know the answer to that one. Maybe I should go back to school...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, it's official. Your blog is educational. Too bad you could never share it with your students....Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, in some cases... It's a nice threat, sometimes.

      Delete
  9. I didn't know that but now I do. Thank you Teach :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I admit that question took me longer than it should have too. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those that's so blindingly obvious (for those in the know) that it takes a minute.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.