Thursday, June 8, 2017

Worst of the Worst


I had been warned about 6th period. While the rest of the day was 8th grade math, period 6 was the "support & enrichment" class (read: the extra math class for students who hate math). I kinda knew what I was in for even before they arrived.

In a class of the difficult, table 1 stood out. Jacob and Elijah were just that little bit of extra crazy. Let me see if I can recall their shenanigans:

  • Confiscated a Tech Deck from Jacob
  • Removed a girl from table 1 as she and Jacob were having a loud argument (something about each being racist against the other)
  • Prevented Elijah from writing on Jacob's forehead in marker
  • Only then discovering that they had written Slipknot on each other's arms
  • Asked them to stop pounding on table and stomping in rhythm: "This is not a Queen concert or a basketball game"
  • Argued with Elijah about whether he was the son of a Kiss band member (who he would not name to prove his assertion)

Would you be shocked if I told you they got no work done?

Even with that list, I did not spend the period hovering over the boys. There was plenty of other crazy to contain, although not as crazy as Jacob and Elijah, of course. 

A little over halfway through the period, I was on the other side of the room. Everybody's attention was drawn to Elijah throwing his arms in the air as Jacob... (Don't ask. I have no idea.) 

The boys at table 8 (where I was at that moment) looked at Jacob and Elijah in disgust. (Keep in mind that they were loud in their own right.) 

"You need to write their names down." 

(Name in note can be a serious consequence. In the case of this class, the teacher had specified that she wanted names taken, with a likely outcome that names in the note got severe consequences.) 

I laughed. "I wrote their names down a half hour ago," I told the boys.

26 comments:

  1. Wow, what a class! You needed hazard pay for subbing there!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet that made table eight chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've known kids like that. They're playing the game "Let's drive the sub insane!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonder what the severe consequences entail and whether they make any difference for next time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is the total life of drama with teens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As I got older I want and or need less drama in my life.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  7. End of school year + substitute teacher = crazy kids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea. I know. Been through it many times.

      Delete
  8. It doesn't sound like a very good learning environment. I feel sorry for the kids who do want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was a high school? Geez. Thanks for reminding me why I just laugh and shake my head when others say I should substitute teach.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - I don't know how you cope - I'd be locked up by now .. I'd have been ranting and raving so much. Glad you can cope /! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bless you for your patience. ~grin~ Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the things you never thought you'd have to say. They don't teach this in teacher's college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, they kinda do. Not to this extreme, obviously.

      Delete
  13. My mother wanted me to be a teacher. I knew I didn't have it. Not sure why so many of my young cousins have gone into the field. The gene definitely skipped me. (On the other hand, those tech decks sound like fun!) Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Tech Decks have been around since the late '90s. That's toy staying power for you.

      Delete
  14. Yuk! There's nothing you can do with a class like that except get through it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL Oh wow. Bad when other kids are thinking that, too. smh

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.