Thursday, June 1, 2017

The Conservative Tide


I don't talk politics on this blog. (I save that for Talking It Out.) And while I'm not going to start today, I do feel I need to preface today's post with a nod to my bias.

I'm a liberal. (You all already know that, right?) Which is why I found this so funny.

11th grade U.S. history. They were to do a guided reading (read: worksheet) on a section entitled "A Conservative Movement Emerges" about the '80s and Reagan and Bush Sr.

As they turned in their work, I glanced at it. And then I took a closer look.

The question (if it's too small to read, click on the image to blow it up):


And their responses:





As you can see, they "worked together". And it's pretty obvious they didn't read the chapter carefully (or at all, probably). They may have looked it up on their phones.

Still, it gave me a good chuckle.

And I made sure my instructions to the next class were a little clearer. As in READ THE CHAPTER. (You'd think this goes without saying, but apparently not when they want to get done so they can goof off.)

Oh, and the teacher is a conservative. So, when their papers are graded...

26 comments:

  1. HAHA.....do you see any kids that want to learn? Or is this really just a stopping point till they are on their own? That is if most ever leave home?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind that I only blog about the "interesting" stories. I probably won't spend any time talking about the four periods of students taking a quiz yesterday. Students on task = not interesting.

      Delete
  2. Oooh... It would be interesting to see the teacher's reaction...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would. I haven't had a chance to check in with her and find out what she thought.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to see their teacher's reaction to that. I wonder if they'll get a lecture on what conservatives 'actually' believe.

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those terms are heard over and over and over. Almost like a mantra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart kids! They all deserve A+s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And they say group work is supposed to be a good thing! Those are great answers though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha, I was wondering what happens if the teacher is a conservative. I can't really disagree with what they wrong, but th ere were some definite\suspicious trends, weren't there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Problem is, the chapter was about the '80s. They were supposed to be talking about the conservative issues from the '80s.

      Delete
  8. lol yeah you can clearly see they helped one another

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More like one did it and the others copied. Which is the major issue I had with it.

      Delete
  9. Be interesting to read their responses if the question was raised about liberals :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing like trying to get kids interested in something other than themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Liz - I hope you tell us the teacher's reaction .. it'd be fun to read about - cheers and have a good weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. I thought it was pretty funny, and I couldn't keep it to myself.

      Delete
  13. Yes, they tend to complete the exercise then read the instructions later if at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods head* I guess it's the same all over.

      Delete
  14. When reading the first student's response, I was heartened. After realizing that they used a 'cut and paste' approach to the lesson, I was bummed. Thinking that the teacher might blow a gasket at the responses makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.