Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Missing Class


Continuation high school journalism class. (Yes, they have a school newspaper.) It's the end of the year, so the class only had four students. (One was absent.)

The continuation high school works on credits. Once they've earned the required 220, they are done. By this time of year, most of the seniors have completed high school.

It was newspaper delivery day. Two students were to go pass them out to all the classes. One of the assigned students was absent, so I let the other student pick her partner. But all three girls wanted to go. And the boy wanted to join them...

What's the harm, right?

Five minutes later I got a call from another teacher. They were being disruptive. (Naturally...)

Well, they should have come back soon, so I could scold them. I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

Um...

I went to the door looking for them. They were not visible on campus. (The campus is small enough that I could see all of it from my door.) But the principal spotted me.

The girls did eventually return. The boy returned some time after them. (This is the way subs get into trouble.) What happened? They explained that several of the papers had been stapled badly, so they had to fix.

The boy...? He was taking advantage of the situation. Naturally.

38 comments:

  1. I was waiting for you to say they never returned. It's the beginning of summer!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At that point, you roll up said newspaper and hit the boy with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And then I get fired for abusing students. Not worth it.

      Delete
  3. Guess you learned a lesson too in not letting all go if ever presented with such a situation in the future.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. So surprising that the boy took advantage of the situation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like normal or high school to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Senior-itis always strikes about this time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHA....I think you need a summer break! Meant nothing about the Calif. remark, just that state has a different range of folks then most states. And...I am from Calif. myself! Enough said..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK. I'll try not to get offended...

      Delete
    2. Please don't be...I love Calif! Would be there next month if I had not had this surgery that I am still paying off! haha....

      Delete
  8. Naturally, I think high school students would take advantage of a situation like that, especially this close to school letting out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I fully expected you to say they didn't come back lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. The school's not that big, and once the principal starts looking...

      Delete
  10. I bet everyone was more in "I don't care about school" mode than usual. Summer tends to do that to people.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just when you thought it was safe to be nice for a moment--dun, dun, duuuun! Naughty, naughty students.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's not easy being a sub. I know I've done it about six times. Then I had enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six times? You were only getting started ;)

      Delete
  13. Stapled badly? That's gotta be Top 5 Lame Excuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally, yeah. But I can see how it would happen in this particular circumstance. Were they lying? Possible.

      Delete
  14. Stapled badly?? It would have been better to say a dog ate the newspapers. Anytime to bugger off is a great day for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how the newspapers are assembled, this is possible. (A page could have been turned upside down, for example.)

      Delete
  15. Any chance to use an advantage is surely welcome :) Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh dear, it's entirely possible that I might have been one of those kids....nicking off for a fag behind the fence. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has an entirely different meaning in the US. Just sayin...

      Delete
  17. I too was one of those kids, but they drive me up the wall now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my.

    But yeah, I probably would have taken too long as well. If it makes you feel any better, you were probably their favorite teacher/sub that day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlikely. At least they weren't gone the whole period.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.