Wednesday, May 20, 2020

The Smell

It was evening. I walked out into the garage to throw something away, and ewwww. There was this smell that was just plain awful. 

I looked about, but I couldn't see any sort of leak. Besides, it kind of smelled like sewage. How would sewage get into the garage? I didn't want to think about that. 

Landlady said she had smelled it earlier, but Luisa hadn't. And she'd been working out there... 

A couple days prior, Luisa started going through a pile of paperwork. You know the kind--the sorts of bills and mail and such that accumulate over time. She had started going through them and shredding much of it. The pile had been sitting in the garage for a while, and nowadays we have the time. 

So, it was weird that Luisa wasn't smelling anything while we were. 

On the second day of the smell, Luisa smelled it. She opened the garage door while working, which got the smell to clear out. 

On the third day, Luisa pulled out the shelving unit. She was sure she was going to find a dead rat. Nope. Nothing. 

And then, after days of not being able to figure out where the smell was coming from, Luisa discovered it. Rats had peed on her paperwork. Well, at least the paperwork was being trashed... 

She finally finished going through all of her papers. It only took four or five days. And the smell was gone. 

(I don't have an image to go with this post, so consider this a palate cleanser.)

I so need to go through all of my papers. I'm a bit reluctant to start, now.

14 comments:

  1. Ewwwww....

    But I like the palate cleanser. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some neighbors have some very pretty flowers. I like roses.

      Delete
  2. Hi Liz - positively awful ... I had to deal with that when I was up in Canada - still by the time I left the house and the 90 year old were cleaner! Glad it's been sorted though - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ick!! But glad it got discovered what the smell was from!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disgusting. At least it's gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually when I smell something like that, I know a cat is involved in some way. I've had things die in the walls, and there's no way to get to them (not that I'd want to!). Ugh. More palate cleanser, please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yuck! Glad the papers are gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need more than a palate cleanser. I need...maybe a lot of fragrant herbs? A nosegay? Mint?

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least it was on the papers so the smell was easy to remove!

    You'd love my one rose bush - it's a heritage rose so it's very thorny but has the most glorious scent. It starts off a deep apricot and by the time it is fully open it's just a pale apricot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The rose was, indeed, a great way to end such a 'stinky' post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you could locate the source of the smell and it's gone now.

    That reminds me... my desk is overflowing with paper, much of that needs to trashed. Have to get down to that!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.