Thursday, May 28, 2020

The Last Time



For #ThrowbackThursday, I went looking for a specific post. It would have been in October of last year. 

It was a minimum day, the last day of the first quarter. 

The last day of a quarter can be a bit weird. The shorter periods make the day go quickly. Not a lot is assigned. And assignments on that day will most likely only be counted on the semester grade. 

That day I covered a Spanish class. It ran the gamut from year one students to the AP students. If I recall correctly, I had some attitude in the first period class, but that was not surprising as they were freshmen. 

The day went pretty smoothly. I think. Although, it took me a bit of time to figure out which assignment went with which class. None of this ended up being blog-worthy, though. For, when I went back through my archives, I did not find a post for this day. 

It's not surprising. I don't blog about every class I cover. Some just don't have a good story to go with them. I was probably sketching out my blog posts for the week while watching them (as it was a Friday), and nothing they did stood out as being all that interesting for the blog. 

As I look at the picture, I remember the set up of the room. The teacher had one of those high chairs which I find uncomfortable to sit on. There was a stand with the seating charts. Most of the work was piled on her desk. 

It was a fairly average day. 

This was the last time I subbed for Ms. M. I did not know it would be The Last Time. 

Last week an email went out to the whole district. Ms. M had passed away. 

By the time all of this is over, we all will have known someone who has passed due to this thing. Likely, more than one.

13 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear about her passing. Was it from the virus do you know?

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about her passing. Why?

    You are correct. We will each one of us see death in those we know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't say cause of death, but I'm assuming. I could be wrong.

      Delete
  3. Oh, was it covid? I know a couple of people overseas who have had it, but don't know anyone in my home country *touch wood*. I hope I don't end up knowing someone who dies because of it.

    We are so lucky in Australia because our infection rate was railed in early. We've only had 7,150 cases and 103 deaths across the country. We have high testing numbers and are only getting 0.5% positive. I'm really hoping it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry about Mrs. M.! I wonder if it was COVID. I know several people who have had it (including me). We've all recovered. But I did see a posts from a blog friend whose dad is not doing so well and will probably die from it. So sad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering the timing, I suspect the dread virus. I hear it's miserable. Glad you've recovered.

      Delete
  5. Oh no. That's always heartbreaking news and I hope I know no one who has passed when all is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. O, that's so unfortunate. One doesn't know what lies ahead. The least we can do is to treasure every moment we have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry. I think you're right though, eventually this thing touches each of us.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.