Monday, May 18, 2020

Another Knit Fabric Mask

Hi. 


How do you like my new mask? 

Yeah, so I totally didn't need to make another one. Really, I didn't. I had the knit and lined one. I had the one I showed off two weeks ago... 


Plus, I ordered one a month or so ago. So, I now have four masks that I can use. 

But, I do enjoy making them. And I had an idea to make the ear straps easier. (I suppose one of these days I should do a blog post about how I modified the No Sew Fabric Crochet Pattern to be knit and with ear straps rather than a tie around, but that won't be this week.) 


Instead of knitting an I-cord that I then sewed onto the mask, I knit one continuous loop for the ears, employing a technique I used for my Tablet Buddy pattern. It worked. 

That doesn't mean this project went off without a hitch. It turns out I worked too many stitches into the mask. If you take a good look at it modeled on me, you can see how the sides kind of flare out. And my first attempt at knitting the ear loops ended up way too huge (a mistake I've made before). I debated whether or not to photograph the mistake, choosing not to. 

That just means that my next mask won't need nearly as many stitches along the sides, which will make the whole thing that much quicker to complete. 


I did modify the size of the fabric. The pattern called for a cut piece of fabric 8 by 14 inches. I realized the reason the width was too narrow was due to my seam allowances, which I fixed on the new mask. But the length was just a bit too short, so I cut the new mask 8 by 16 inches. I like those dimensions and will be doing that in the future. 

Because, yes I will make this again. It's fun. It's quick. And it's nice to have a couple masks on hand so that I can change things up a bit. 


What sort of masks have you been wearing? Or, have you been wearing a mask in public? 

24 comments:

  1. Now you can mix and match them with your wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never too many of them! As you can only wear a mask for 3 to 4 hours, it can be useful to have a lot on hand ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're supposed to wash reusable masks frequently so I bought several. Most are plain black, but I bought one that advertises I read a lot of fantasy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. They came out nice! You're doing a good job with them. And hey, you're keeping busy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are getting great with these! I like your latest one. Not wearing a mask anymore unless it is mandated into law here. Lady I am in an email group with took her dog for a long walk, wearing a mask. She said she almost passed out close to home. I think it had to do with hyperventilating. She is 75 years old. I personally think it is ridiculous to wear a mask outside if someone is not in a public place with lots of people and is alone. Like she was. She is in Alabama. Not sure if it is mandated there or not.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's another reason I made another. I don't do laundry all that often. Although, I don't go out all that often, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To echo what Betty said. I am nearly 80 and wearing a mask makes me feel claustrophobic and out of breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry. I know, they feel weird and stifling. But it's to try to slow the spread of the dread plague, and none of us want to catch that (or give it to someone else unwittingly).

      Delete
  8. You've certainly got face masks nailed. The ear piece looks really comfy, which is important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great job....nice and handy to have and the ear piece looks like it would be easier on the ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as tight as elastic, which is what I really like.

      Delete
  10. You do mighty fine magic with your needles, Liz. I have no idea if I was doing purl or knit only or knit and purl when I went through knitting scarves for nearly everyone I knew. haha, that's funny come to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mind been the ones I make. I been using cotton I like thread count range above 200.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, more is better. They need to be washed so it's good to have something to switch out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Liz - well done ... I have a scarf or two to use - but am not compelled to use it ... if I had a cold I'd stay home. But yes - those look really comfortable - take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice masks and good for you! I bet you can sell them. My hubby bought masks over a year ago from the drug store that has a nose clasp and the plastic thing in front. We have been wearing them when we go into a store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't feel like these are well-made enough to sell.

      Delete
  15. Well, considering the fact that they're supposed to be washed after every wearing, I don't think you have too many. We have N95s that Nick's mom gave us. Please don't judge me. They were from an opened package and none of the places we asked about donating them would take them. I know those won't last forever, so I've still been working on crochet ones. Mine still aren't very good, though. And I bought the fabric to try making some kind of like this (but crochet rather than knit), but I keep talking myself out of starting because I'm afraid I'll mess it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, if you can get your hands on N95s...

      Perhaps you noticed this new one is crooked? It's better to start, make mistakes, and perfect it as you make them rather than wondering how you can make it perfect the first time. Not going to happen. And truly, these are fun and quick. I'm enjoying making them.

      Delete
  16. My spouse and I have two masks each. It's enough for the once or twice a week we are going into stores or other places where masks are needed. We can exercise walk without masks (permitted) because we don't get near to others (even if we have to zig zag through neighborhood streets, which we sometimes have to do.) I did find them somewhat suffocating when I first started to wear them. I was able to get used to them but I would have problems with wearing them 8 hours a day at a job. If I have to return to work in my office, I will have to wear a mask part of the day although there is no public contact. Not looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'd get used to them if we had to wear them for extended periods, but I don't think we'll fully reopen until we mostly don't need the masks. I hope.

      Delete
  17. Nice ones. Good to have at least two masks. Because you need one when the other has been washed and put to dry.

    Here our apartment association was kind enough to order in bulk masks for the residents almost a month ago, when it was speculated that masks would become mandatory. I got two each for my wife, my niece and myself.

    Interestingly they are colour-coded: blue for men, green for women, black for kids and brown for maids.

    I have been wearing it while going out.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.