Wednesday, December 27, 2017

The Gifted


I'm not sure if this actually qualifies as "under the radar" as it made a big splash when the fall season began. But alas, I haven't been watching anything "under the radar" lately, so this'll have to do.

(For those of you still in the blogosphere in the dead week between Christmas and New Year's, hello.)

At the beginning of the fall season, two "mutant" shows were on the schedule--one from Marvel and one from the X-Men universe. You may have heard the Marvel one was largely panned. (It got better, but I don't consider it worth touting.)

The X-Men one, however...

This show, The Gifted, takes place in an alternate present day. Some humans have become mutants with superpowers. But, superpowers are illegal. (The X-Men have "gone away" for some unexplained reason.)

The show focuses on one average family. The two teen children develop powers. So, now they're hunted by Sentinel Services. Which was the employer, kind of, of the father. He worked as a prosecutor. That is, he argued in court for locking up mutants. Who now include his children.

He changed his allegiances pretty quickly.

The family is on the run. Will they escape?

The Gifted returns from its winter hiatus on January 1st. You can catch the first half of the season on Hulu or on FOX's website. Here's the trailer...



I was not sure if this was a show I really wanted to watch. But it started at a time when I was low on shows but with some extra time. And there was something about it...

Then, at about episode 3, I saw the credit for Matt Nix, and it all fell into place.

Matt Nix also created a little show called Burn Notice. It aired on USA Network from 2007-2013. (I think now you can find it on Netflix.)

Burn Notice is a favorite show of mine. It's one I can watch over and over again. So, no wonder I'm enjoying The Gifted.

Are you watching The Gifted? Did you ever see Burn Notice?

19 comments:

  1. I haven't seen The Gifted. I did watch parts of the Marvel show, and thought it was pretty bad (and as a general rule, I love all things Marvel).

    I also loved Burn Notice. I had no idea that Matt Nix is involved with The Gifted. But I thought I saw Jesse in one of the commercials.

    Perhaps I should check it out one of these days. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trailer for The Gifted looks good. In general, I think Marvel puts out some really good shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marvel does put out good shows. Which is why Inhumans was such a disappointment. Don't bother. (They're forgiven for the occasional misfire so long as it doesn't become a habit ;)

      Delete
  3. I've heard of burn notice, but I've never really been big on action shows. Same for superheroes, although there are some exceptions. It takes a lot to please me when it comes to both those genres.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not seen Burn Notice or The Gifted. The Gifted would interest me, if I could find the time. I spend too much time online! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Priorities... We're at the part of the year where I need something to write about. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea :)

      Delete
  5. I've seen trailers for The Gifted. Hubby was a fan of Burn Notice. I liked Sharon Glass' character on it.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not watched The Gifted but have been meaning to. When does it air and on what channel??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen it yet. We just binge-watched Stranger Things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's one I want to see. Alas, no Netflix for me...

      Delete
  8. Oh. My. Gosh. I absolutely loved "Burn Notice", which my partner found due to looking up favorite actor Bruce Campbell. Not sure I'd care to watch this show, but may have to check it out. Right now I'm addicted to the creepy, character driven "Fortitude". I'm sad there are only five episodes left and hope it comes back for a third season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alas, no Bruce Campbell on The Gifted. But Sam Axe was a great character.

      Delete
  9. My hubby lovedddddd Burn Notice I'll tell him to check this out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like The Gifted, too. The characters and story are well-developed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are. It's so nice to have a well developed fantasy/sci fi show. We must reward them for this.

      Delete
  11. I haven't watched either of those shows. The Gifted kind of sounds addicting. Like you can't watch just one episode without wanting to come back and watch it again and again. Since I don't have a lot of time, I probably won't start watching. But I can see how this show would have a good following, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have time to get up to date if you wish. I just learned today that it's been renewed for a second season.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.