Wednesday, December 13, 2017

The Snitch


Monday I was back at the continuation high school. Math class.

They do all their work on computers, so my main job is to monitor them and make sure they're on task. (I also occasionally am called on to assist with problems that they're having difficulty with.) There is a computer program to help with this, and on this day I found that more of them were off task than on.

Not surprising. Annoying. So, I kept a list of those who were off task.

For some reason, they think they're sneaky by keeping their video tab small. Nope. I totally see that and note it.

In one class, a student decided to apply for a job online. While I applaud his determination, job applications are best filled out when one is not in math class (when one should be doing math). I told him something of the sort.

"But I need a job. I don't need math."

I should mention that he was applying to work in a retail environment.

I pointed out that math has some bearing on selling things. He argued that he didn't really need algebra.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. We did the usual argument. He refused to get back to work. I walked away (because belaboring the argument doesn't help). And, of course, I noted the exchange in my note to the teacher.

The next day I was back at the continuation high school but in a different class. Naturally, the job seeker was my classes this day, too.

He had a bone to pick with me. Apparently, his math teacher wasn't pleased that he was applying for work instead of doing his math.

"I thought we were chill. Why'd you have to snitch on me?"

I'm not sure what part of our conversation led him to believe that I was okay with him not being on task. Or why he'd think I wouldn't report what did and did not get done in class.

Deep sigh. Just another day dealing with teenagers.

19 comments:

  1. HAHA....TEENS! They just don't get it, they don't get they need that math to make it in the working world. They need to know things and yet they think they know it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?

      About a year ago, I was in a math class. Had the usual argument: "Why do I need to know this?" They were working on plotting points on a graph. I asked the girl what career she was eyeing. Crime scene tech. Ahem. And she didn't see how what they were doing would apply...

      Delete
  2. Ha, I too wonder what would make him think you wouldn't report what happened. Ah well. Yeah, there is a time and place for stuff, but I suppose filling out applications is better than watching videos. Still, math would be best in math class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely. I would much rather see them applying for a job than watching a fight on YouTube. But I wonder how the company would react knowing when the boy was doing his applying.

      Delete
  3. He thought you would be okay with him using his math time applying for jobs. There is absolutely no logic to it, but then like you summed it up, TEENAGERS!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz - I think you're amazing dealing with them ... they'll learn what's needed out in the big bad world .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. First day of Algebra we were told..."You will use it every day in your life" I have admit I just don't see yet where I've use it. A hard class for me.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow why wouldn't you report him for that? lmao silly kiddo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. I guess they think that my walking away means I'm okay with something. Nope. Just done fighting them on it.

      Delete
  7. You should have told him "Well, that's my job. I knew that when I applied for it."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats what you have to realise when speaking to young adults. Only their opinion matters. So tread carefully because they give (or not - depends) a very singular account of what happened to whoever listens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see the video, too. I think everyone would see that video given it's still on the screen.

    'I thought we were chill', um, yeah, no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why they think keeping it that small keeps me from seeing it. Wishful thinking?

      Delete
  10. No need for algebra? He could always drop out and become the next (insert billionaire name here)...

    Kids these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, this kid will grow up and be an annoying adult doing and saying the same thing as I see this in my office

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Liz, well, how it tough it is to handle teeneagers! I wonder, how our teachers managed us!
    It was definitely wrong to have filled in job application instead of studying math in the math class. You were right in rebuking the kid
    Hopefully, he will learn one day, and remember what you told him in class.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.