Friday, December 8, 2017

The Easy Way


"Look at this. We have to write all this down. It's too much work. I'm going to drop out."

10th grade world history. The assignment the boy was referring to was something about PowerPoint notes. It was two full pages long (or front and back of one page). In the grand scheme of things, it wasn't huge.

However, it was more than the boy wanted to do.

His friend, sitting next to him, concurred.

"You know [I forget who he named] dropped out, and look at him now."

I responded much as you'd expect. The gist was "stay in school". When I pointed out that most dropouts don't end up famous (or even comfortable), the boys responded with, "You don't think I can make it?"

Deep sigh.

Sophomores...

They explained their plans. They want to be YouTube famous. (I did point out that they could be in school and make YouTube videos on the side. I did point out that becoming YouTube famous wasn't a sure thing and/or all that easy. You can imagine how they responded to that.)

Ah well. It's better than planning on becoming a drug dealer.

22 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, at least they agreed it was better to stay in school lol silly kiddos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't really agree with me. We left it at agreeing to disagree.

      Delete
    2. A teenager with a plan... sounds unusual and impressive.

      Delete
    3. Impressive like it's impressive when a kiddo plans on playing basketball for the NBA. And he's 5'3"...

      Delete
  2. They don't realize how much hard work it is, even in those "famous" jobs, do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they don't. I tried to explain that to them. This was "not believing in them". Sigh.

      Delete
  3. There goal is to prove they can drop out and make it? That is incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still blown away that striving to be 'Youtube famous' is a thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, indeed, a sad commentary on our times.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like what they really need is a statistics class so they learn about probability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz - it's a sad state of affairs ... the bright ones will make it - those that don't apply themselves will be down the list somewhere ... hoping something good will happen - unlikely ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. So if they are thinking writing a little bit is too much work and they are thinking of dropping out, what happens when they have to find a job flipping burgers for 8 hours so they can somewhat support themselves? That would be hard work in my opinion.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm laughing at your teacher comment at the end. Given a choice of careers, I'd concur with you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, that's a true story. A kiddo explained to me how he didn't need school as he was going to be a drug dealer.

      Delete
  9. hahaha.....Youtube famous! I love that term. So funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather think they don't have the drive to do it.

      Delete
  10. So glad I survived that age. ~grin~ Be well, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard primary (elementary) school kids say they want to be Youtube stars. What is happening in our world? Andy Warhol was right about the 5 seconds of fame thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the next big thing. And it'll last until the next big thing.

      Delete
  12. I can't believe you've spoken with a kid that wanted to be a drug dealer when he grew up. My face looked like this 😮 when I saw your link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I did. That was an interesting conversation.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.