Thursday, December 28, 2017

"New" Student


For today's #ThrowbackThursday, I picked a post at somewhat random. (To be truly random would have taken more trouble than I was in the mood for.) It's from January 6, 2010

"I'm a new student. Where do I sit?"

Oscar waited until after the bell rang to ask. Usually new students find me when they first enter the room. And he was sitting in the one empty seat in the room. This was my warning.

I assigned Oscar that empty seat, and then I began class. They were to outline the next section in the textbook. Then they were to answer questions. It was a pretty straightforward assignment--standard stuff for a sub day.

As this was a freshman class (health), I walked the room to make sure that they got started. I had to stand over a couple of them as they fumbled with their folders (before I got there they made no attempt to find their materials). As I passed by, Oscar waved me over.

"I'm new. What do I need to do?"

The student seated next to Oscar asked why he was playing. Oscar repeated that he was a new student. I took Oscar's schedule which was out on his desk (the schedule I consulted to verify that he belonged in the class), flipped it over, and pointed to the "returning student" handwritten at the top.

"But that doesn't mean I was in this class before."

Not more than two minutes later, a student a couple seats behind noticed Oscar. "Oscar, you're back," he said.

The students around them laughed. They wondered why it took the boy so long to notice that Oscar was there.

Just to make sure, I flipped through the roll book. Sure enough, Oscar had been enrolled in the class back in October. The seat I put him in had been his seat previously. I knew this because Oscar's name had been erased.

What was the purpose of him telling me that he was new? And why did he keep insisting he was new, all evidence to the contrary?

I explained the assignment to him anyway. He ignored me. He didn't do any work.

Sigh. Freshmen. Sometimes they make no sense whatsoever.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like the kid enjoys mind games. Scary enough, he reminds me of my husband, as my husband would be the kind of guy to pull that type of prank.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could you even call it a prank? I mean, it was so obvious that the kid was lying...

      Delete
  2. It my 80s teenager parlance, I would say he was fucking with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baffling. I was too busy dodging bullies to mess with teachers, many of whom harbored that behavior. So glad I am beyond that now and grateful you deal with these attitudes so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I can't remember, but I think I was probably more amused by his obvious lie than angry about it.

      Delete
  4. Maybe he was insisting he was new because he hadn't had you as a sub before?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh brother, does he think he will be the next evil super genius? I sigh in disbelief

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice I said it was a freshman class. Really, that should be enough said ;)

      Delete
  6. What a pain for you. Students like this waste time for those students who DO want to learn.
    That's Purrfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every Oscar I've ever met has been trouble. Even if this was a pseudonym I suspect you picked this name because deep down you also think all Oscars are trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a made up name. But come to think of it, you're right...

      Delete
  8. Teens these days love to play mind games. I think that is what Oscar was up too. The funny thing about it is the games they play are not old games, they have been played by teens through the yrs but...I think the difference is that teens these days are ruder! If I was as rude in school as teens today are then a call would have been made to home and my ass would have been taken care of. The next issue with teens today is the parents don't want to know what is going on in school. They actually think that the kids are in your care at school and you should handle them without bringing the parents in. I had a teacher, once was mine, that my daughter had and she told me it was really hard when you call meeting with a teach and the parents come in being goofy and smelling like pot! I asked what she did and she said she had to be professional. That is when I told her that she was better than me cause if I was in her shoes I would give them what for! See, there is a reason why some folks are teachers and I am NOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on the parent, I think. It's the parents that won't put up with thist stuff that have kids that don't do it.

      Delete
  9. Hey, my dear. Interestingly, PL Keenor left this at the end of a nice comment on my blog and I feel certain it was meant for you:

    "What a pain for you. Students like this waste time for those students who DO want to learn.
    That's Purrfect"

    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.