Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The Troublemaker


On Thursday, Caleb stormed into the classroom, bellowing that I had "gotten him in trouble" as he thunked into his seat.

I attempted to explain that all I had done was to report what he had done, and he was the one who had gotten himself into trouble. I say "attempted" because Caleb wouldn't let me get a word in edgewise.

Sigh.

I'm not sure why he was surprised. Or angry. Because, seriously, he should have known.

On Wednesday, I was covering the math class at the continuation high school. (On Thursday I covered the computer literacy class at the same school, hence seeing Caleb again.) Caleb was in 3rd period. 3rd period is right after they have a 15 minute snack break.

The school has a fairly liberal restroom pass policy. The only restriction is that they're not supposed to go for the first or last 10 minutes of class.

Caleb walked into 3rd period just about at the bell. He insisted that he had to use the restroom right then. I told him he could go in 10 minutes.

Oh no. This was not going to work for him. He had to go right now.

If it was such a dire emergency, why didn't he go during snack? He had a full 15 minutes.

He was "busy" he said. Well, if he was busy, he clearly didn't need to go that badly. Then it turned into he didn't need to go during snack. My response was the same. (Or it might have been the other way around. Either way, the story changed as I questioned him on it.)

Caleb... Yeah, Caleb doesn't back down. He's one of those students who... I don't know how to describe him. But I've dealt with him quite a bit, so I knew it was going to be 10 minutes of arguing, and I just wasn't in the mood.

I informed Caleb that I'd let him go, but I was going to let Mr. F know what had transpired. He said he was okay with that.

Mr. F, the math teacher, is one of the strict ones. And they all know this. I knew that writing down this incident would result in a consequence for Caleb. He should have known it too.

So, when he stormed into the classroom the next day, I wasn't sure what the problem was. He had agreed that Mr. F would be informed. So, really, he should have known.

(Before I get comments about restricting restroom usage, if it's clear it's an emergency I wouldn't have hesitated to let him go. This was more a case of a failure to plan as he had just had a break.)

17 comments:

  1. And sometimes it's just easier than arguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I do not feel sorry for Caleb. He really needs to learn actions have consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope that I'm around to see it if he grows up.

      Delete
  3. Hi Liz - kids ... just enjoy the festive break - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its a strange world. Its always the unreasonable one which logic has to yield to which you did in the end for a bit of peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it was a mixture of him just having to win and also having no concept of consequences. Which...sounds an awful lot like a politician.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good grief. You do have your hands full with that one. I winced simply when I read the title! And you guessed my gadget. ~grin~ I loaded my water bottle with ice before heading to the gym this morning. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I only have to see him sporadically.

      Yeah, I saw those ice trays in some catalog or other. If it works, I say go with it.

      Delete
  7. He probably didn't even need to go TBH :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure he didn't. Perhaps some girl he's talking to was outside... That's the most likely scenario.

      Delete
  8. Wow, they have 'snack break'? That's kinda cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the high schools do. It's between 2nd and 3rd periods. It's a great time for me to run to the restroom ;)

      Delete
  9. Said it before and here to state it again....I don't know how you do what you do! I could not handle all the excuses and comments.....and attitudes there kids have. Unreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When things happen, I think "blog fodder" ;)

      Delete
    2. Maybe you should rename your blog space? or there are probably many - there are many, one example https://blogfodderhub.wordpress.com/ but you have no problem with writers block.

      Delete
  10. Don't they realize when they get into the "real world" they will have to plan their bathroom breaks a little more carefully and not be able to leave their work station to take care of it on their own whim (barring emergencies of course).

    betty

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.