Friday, November 4, 2016

Juan, a.k.a. Julio


It was the kind of math class where I had the students for two periods, because the students needed extra help with math. So, naturally, none of them really wanted to be there. Which, of course, means that I was spending all my time on behavior issues rather than getting any time, really, to spend on math.

The boy introduced himself as Juan. And I spent much of that first period with them calling on him. Not to answer any questions. I just wanted him to settle down so I could go over the assignment with the class.

He wasn't the only one, of course, but just one of the most vocal.

Between their first period in class and second, they had lunch. Upon returning from lunch, I went back over the roll to make sure all the students had returned.

"Caleb?"

"Juan" answered.

It was then I remembered "Juan" from a previous class. He had told me to call him Juan then, too. Juan is not his middle name either (his middle initial is not J).

No wonder the rest of the class had so much fun calling him Juan. Oh well, whatever.

But for the second class, he was done with Juan. He said to call him Julio.

Okay, fine. I'll call him whatever he likes (well, within reason). I just had to make sure to call him Caleb in my note (for the not settling in class, not for using a different name).

29 comments:

  1. Hi Liz - I think I'd give up .. my patience would be severely tried - good luck and well done to you for holding it together ... have a good weekend .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, I love your last paragraph. Getting his name right in the note to the teacher is definitely the most important thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never understood the game where you pretend you have a different name for the sub, because how are you supposed to remember? Which is pretty much what happened to this kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never a dull moment for you for sure!!!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, the things you have to go through lol! At least you caught on ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was only being disruptive in a class of disrupters. Nothing big.

      Delete
  6. Ha! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. I wonder what name he will want to be called next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Does he have a personality disorder? Or he is being a little smartie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second one. I'm not worried about his mental health.

      Delete
  8. At least you know he doesn't have a twin! I wonder if he would take it well if you tease him for "forgetting" his name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is I don't retain names. He was assuming I remembered his. I didn't.

      Delete
  9. Oh my. The stories you tell! Brings back memories from my teaching days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is why I moved to the university classroom. I wasn't as patient as high school or grade school teachers have to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Honey, sweetheart, love, matey, darlin', all better than 'you with the chip on your shoulder'

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think he might have just been having fun with the Sub. At least it's all sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course. This sort of thing doesn't bother me, which is probably why this job hasn't sent me to the mental institution yet.

      Delete
  13. Whatever makes him happy, I guess! It could be a way to torture the sub, but it's possible he just likes having a different name for a little while. Although it also sounds like he might be showing off for his classmates a little...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they're torturing the sub, they use names that aren't really classroom appropriate. Juan? That's a harmless enough name to go by.

      Delete
  14. I think you have to be extremely patient and easy going to be a teacher. I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It takes a special kind of awesome to brush it off sometimes. Way to roll with it and move on.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Maybe he really hates his name. I spent lots of time as a teenager trying to get people to call me by different names that I liked better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it could be. I know one girl who always makes sure that we call her something completely different than her name. I wonder if she'll grow to like hers.

      Delete
  17. People are so curious. They just do such odd things. At least it's harmless this time around, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.