Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Absconded


Special ed, sophomore math. (They recently revamped the math sequence in the district, so this was an algebra/geometry hybrid that is aimed at the 10th graders.) They were finishing a test they had started the previous day. (Friday. This happened on a Monday.)

The teacher's lesson plans had a whole page devoted to the class' cell phone rules.

Certain populations have bigger cell phone addiction issues than others. Special ed classes and the continuation high school tend to be where I see the most issues when it comes to students not being able to put their cell phones down.

This teacher had created a "parking lot" where the students could stow their phones for the class period. If they chose not to "park" their phones, any instance of them using the phone was grounds for immediate confiscation.

I passed out their tests, and they got right to work. About halfway through the period, I noticed one girl had earbuds in her ears.

Now, normally if they're working on something quietly, I let the listening to music thing pass. But not during a test. And, the teacher had specifically said phones were to be put away. So, there was no reason for the girl to be listening to anything. 

I pointed this out to the aide. She went to confiscate.

"I thought it was okay. I'll put it away..."

Okay? After I had informed the class to "park" their phones? And during a test? Um, no.

The girl claimed she had not heard my announcement. But this was SOP for the class, so the aide had no sympathy. She held out her hand...

The girl held her phone back. The aide informed her if she wasn't going to give up the phone, security was going to be called. The girl began packing up her stuff.

I went to call security. But the phone listing in the class was out of date, so I didn't have the correct phone number...

The girl put her test in her backpack and walked out of the room. (Tests do not leave the room.)

I kind of want to know what happened to her the next day. Her test was null and void. And then there was defiance thing. All over a cell phone that she knew she should put away.

Deep sigh.

18 comments:

  1. She sounds like a brat. You make me so glad I'm not a teacher! You'd think they would make sure to keep important phone numbers up to date. Can you program the number for security in your cellphone? I've done that with the security folks at work. I feel better having that as a backup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently she never needs to call security. (Not like they're ever there. Every time I've called, I get voicemail...)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Technology creates a new set of problems that teachers never had to deal with before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. But then again, there are the problems that new technology solves, so it kind of balances out.

      Delete
  3. Geesh! Silly of her not to have complied; now she probably got into a lot more trouble. Just don't understand some people and the choices they seem to make.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know from experience how hard it is to separate teenagers from their phones, but was failing the test worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow she did that all over not being able to use her phone >.<

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talk about overreacting. I'm sure she's going to be blaming everyone but herself for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some people don't like to take order or follow instrution. What will happen when she gets a boss out in the work force.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh boy...there's a future girl who will have 3 kids from 3 different daddies and be on assistance...oops judging but oh well:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz - so difficult to work with ... kids can be a pain - I wonder how she will do in life ... the others have similar ideas on her behaviour ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't get that at all. Would be interesting to see how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am only guessing but I rather think that she WANTED the test to be voided. Punishment might have been to re-sit anothery? Kids just get themselves into all manner of trouble with their teen logic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows what she was thinking? Oh, no, I know. It was: you can't have my phone. That's all.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.