Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Your Very Own Theorem


At the heart of much speculative fiction (and fiction in general) is a question. What if? On Tuesdays I like to throw one out there and see what you make of it. Do with it as you please. If a for-instance is not specified, feel free to interpret that instance as you wish. And if you find this becomes a novel-length answer, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements ;)

I saw this interesting article on Facebook. "10 Rules, Laws, and Theorems You Should Know" via Mental Floss. These are not your math-type theorems...
7. SKITT'S LAW
If you're tempted to leave a comment to correct someone’s grammar or spelling, beware of Skitt’s Law, which states, “Any post correcting an error in another post will contain at least one error itself.” While such an occurrence appears to be karma, a different wording shows a more generous view of the poster’s intentions: “The likelihood of an error in a post is directly proportional to the embarrassment it will cause the poster.” Skitt wasn't the first to propose this law. It appears under other names as far back as 1990, when Bell’s First Law of Usenet was proposed. The easiest-remembered name for this law is Muphry’s Law, which is a typo of Murphy’s Law, first proposed in 1992.
Some of them are better than others. The article is worth a look. Anyway, that leads us to today's question...

What if you had such a "law" named after you? What would it be?

26 comments:

  1. Hadn't heard of Skitt's law before, but it does make sense. I think my law would be not to worry too much, it will zap one of one's joy and only cause frustration on things I cannot change :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ninja Law - those dressed in black are always cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Royal Decree of the Noble and Ancient House of Brooker, all persons are henceforth forbidden to chew with their mouths open, under penalty of death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you'll be able to enforce that one...

      Delete
    2. Ah well. I guess I'm just left with Mich's Law: no matter how bad things are, they are in fact actively getting worse right this very moment.

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, that sounds like the laws from this article. So, perfect.

      Delete
  4. Every joke I tell you is funny! Laugh or die!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birgie's law...anyone who takes offense at the slightest thing due to political correctness would suddenly blow up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've got the start of something there. Something about political correctness, but maybe a greater likelihood that that person will end up offending someone else more easily.

      Delete
  6. The longer something goes on, the closer my ability to care approaches zero. :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. AM's Law: cracking gum is like cracking your knuckles. It kills your brain cells. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of one right now but I'll be entertained by the ones in the comments I'm sure :) Also, I'd never heard of Skitt's law!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check out the article. There are several good ones.

      Delete
  9. Who is Skitt and why did he take the time to perform the necessary in-depth studies on such bizarre concepts to create a law? o_o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt this has been scientifically studied...

      Delete
  10. Never heard of Skitt law. I would give most of my posting on the net a C. I post in haste.
    I google "Dora Law" yes indeed they do, and it from Great Britain...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defence_of_the_Realm_Act_1914

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, you already have one. You're excused from this exercise.

      Delete
  11. Never heard of Skitt but an interesting thought - my response would be "it is what it is" (many more important things in life :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Honestly I have no idea. But I do love and agree with Skitt's law. It is so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I posted it. I was going to post Godwin's, but I thought that might not go over too well.

      Delete
  13. I like Skitt's law. And then there is always Murphy's....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Um, the law which dictates the eating of cheese daily. Obviously. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL I'd not seen that one. How funny. Hmmm I'm sure mine would include cats or something pervy. lol

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.