Friday, December 15, 2017

Library Famous


I was back in Ms. B's special ed class. It was Friday, but the lesson plans were from Tuesday. And she had taken her laptop computer with her.

(Later I learned that she was supposed to be out for a one-day training, but she had subsequently come down with the flu. The word "hospitalized" was bandied about.)

From my previous sojourns in her class, I pretty much knew what the drill was. We'd be fine. But I pondered the lack of computer.

What did I need the computer for? To take roll. That's no biggie, as I could just as easily input the roll via my phone. But then there was 5th period and their routine of watching CNN 10. Which we couldn't do via my phone.

I hemmed and hawed. Looked at the clock. I had time.

At the beginning of the school year, I learned that subs can check out Chromebooks from the school library. Some classrooms have no computer. Since we subs need to take roll via the online system, we actually need computer access during the day. This is the solution.

How many classrooms have no computer? Since the beginning of the school year, I've needed to check out a Chromebook three times, including this day. So, it's not a huge issue.

(Every teacher is issued a laptop by the school. Understandably, they don't always leave it in the classroom when they are not there.)

I headed into the library.

I should mention I was wearing a pair of my bauble earrings. (This is so common that normally it wouldn't merit a mention.) Mr. E, the school's librarian, took one look at me, declared me "festive", and insisted that a picture of me must be posted on their Christmas display. (They had a "fireplace" and "tree" built out of math textbooks.)

I blame the early morning. I allowed this.

At the end of the day when I returned the Chromebook, Mr. E informed me that my photo was on the display. I did not look. I took his word for it.

So, I guess students who venture into the library... Nah. No one pays attention to things like that. Do they?

(Having the Chromebook proved very useful several times during the day, not only to watch CNN 10. I'm glad I made the trip.)

22 comments:

  1. I am so out of the loop because I don't even know what a chrome book is. In my old day, roll call was done with pen & pencil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when I was in school, we used Scantrons. When I started subbing, they used Scantrons. The attendance has evolved just since I started subbing.

      Delete
  2. From the department of redundancy department. The high school where my boyfriend teaches insists that teachers keep an old fashioned roll book as well as inputting data into the computer. No one manufactures those books anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they still like a backup attendance here, too. And they print out the online attendance and ask the teachers to sign it and turn it in weekly.

      Delete
  3. That's cool that you're able to check out a Chromebook from the library. Like Birgit, I didn't know what a Chromebook was, so I looked it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose I should have just called it a laptop, although it's slimmer than that.

      Delete
  4. Darian had a Chrome Book for awhile. Then he stepped on it! Cost more to fix it than it was worth....so goodbye Chrome Book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of the point, I think. They'd rather you just replace it.

      Delete
  5. They probably don't pay attention to things like that, but congratulations on being "festive". :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much has changed in the 10 years since son graduated high school. So much done with computers, etc., these days. Gone are the heavy backpacks with the multitude of school books?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHA...I think I am addicted to my computer and the internet. I love blogging, fbing and PINTERESTing! haha....new world PINTERESTing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hate being ambushed by someone with a camera. Glad the Chromebook worked out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I wasn't ambushed. I was given fair warning. I probably could have said no.

      Delete
  9. Would it be terrible to admit I regularly and intentionally sabotage photos? It's almost automatic. I kind of feel bad now though because my wife has almost no pictures of me outside of the random few on Facebook and she's like 'If you ever die, people will think you're made up!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's too funny. She should just post photos of you sabotaging. It would serve you right ;)

      Delete
  10. Love the earrings! He's right, very festive. Glad the day worked out for you, and you got the computer.

    Traveling Suitcase

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a good day :) I have a co-worker who would be declared festive. She has earrings for multiple holidays and occasions.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.