Monday, February 15, 2016

My KNITTING This Week

Back in January when I was knitting Christmas ornaments, I got to thinking earrings. Because they were small enough. A week ago, I decided I needed them right now. And knit them that night...

 .
...and wore them the next day. And the day after that. And the day after that...


Because, why not?

Wednesday, I was over at the continuation high school. It was a break time, and a couple students wandered in. One of the boys noticed my earrings. First he asked if they were cotton balls. Then...

"Oh, those are crocheted."

Me: "No, they're knit."

Him: "No, they're crocheted..."

And I just looked at him. He explained that his aunt or grandmother or someone was a crocheter. Which is cool.

I explained that I had made the earrings myself. And I knew perfectly well what craft I had used. I was there, after all. The earrings had been knit. There must have been something in my tone which finally got him to back off. Sheesh.

Kids. They think they know everything...

And since I've been updating my backdrop weekly, here's where I was last week...


This week, it's finally gotten too large to sit in my projects spot, so I began hanging it up...


It's 25 inches long now. I figure I'm aiming for 4 to 5 feet, depending on how it looks. So, progress.

What have you made progress on lately?

25 comments:

  1. Both projects look lovely. :-) And I can relate to other people confusing knitting with crochet. A few weeks ago while I was in the hospital visiting my husband's grandfather, a nurse stopped by to ask what I was crocheting. I said, "Actually, I'm knitting." I was especially surprised because what I was knitting was a sock, on DPNs. How on earth do 4 knitting needles resemble 1 crochet hook?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People don't know the difference. I frequently correct them. Gently, because if they care enough to ask, they don't deserve my jumping down their throat.

      Delete
  2. Love the color on those earrings. And yeah. Kids always think they know everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitting and I didn't find each other compatible. It was a case of "it's my fault not yours". We parted on good terms and remain distant friends.

    Crocheting however...we had a very close relationship. Oh the nights, the gentle softness, the cuddling. *sigh*.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool that, even though he argued, he noticed them! I kinda like that he noticed them since his mom and grandmom did something similar even though he argued. You are making headways. I am feeling better and have made cards but now, for some reason, my pics will not download on the computer-grrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course he thinks he knows more than you, the person who made them. Typical! I love the color. An the backdrop is still looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The earrings are cool. I am teaching my aerobics instructor to crochet. She finally understands that she is crocheting not knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The earrings look great on you. I'm not an earring person, but the color is right for you. I'm with Huntress re knitting vs. crocheting. I can't remember, though, how many times people have looked at me crocheting (on the bus, at doctors' offices, etc.) and called it knitting. I do wish knitting and me could have become friends, but it just wasn't meant to be. I am slowly making progress on my WIP, the afghan for my son that I began in 2013. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually do both. And it never fails. If I have something crocheted, they'll call it knitting.

      Delete
  8. He probably doesn't know the difference between knit and crochet. My mom does both. She also quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many don't. So, when they say one and it's the other, I gently correct them. And most people are good with the correction. It was just the insistence that he knew what *I* had done and was correcting me... When I know I'm not the expert, I'll defer to the one who knows more.

      Delete
  9. I do like the earrings. I'm thinking blanket still that you are making?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a backdrop, but I'll explain when I'm done. With pictures.

      Delete
  10. Love the earrings!

    I've been making progress with revisions, which is a good thing for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And revisions can be challenging, so good for you.

      Delete
  11. Those earrings are adorable. Whatever it is you are making I love the color and the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Green is your colour, Liz. I've made progress in have all my 5 pets vaccinated and microchipped.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute earrings! I always think of crochet as being more delicate than knitting, but my friend recently knitted the most gorgeous wrap/shawl for me. It looks like lace (Yeah, I’m lucky).

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  14. The earrings are cute. I love the color!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.