Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Five Minutes


I was called in to cover an English class. I had 1st period prep (no students). As I slowly set up (I had an extra hour, after all), the phone rang. I groaned. I knew just what it would be...

"Could you cover an extra period...?"

I whined and complained in my head, but I said yes. It's not like I really had anything to do, and they do pay me for it. Turned out the class I was to cover was right across from the room I was in. So, I didn't even have to walk very far.

We waited outside for security to let us in. Once inside, I looked around for what to give the kiddos to do. I found the roll sheet, so I took roll immediately.

Now I had to figure out how to keep the kiddos busy. It was the wood shop class.

Over the phone I had been informed that the teacher was running late. So, he hadn't left lesson plans. He was going to be there. But what do you give a wood shop class to do to keep them busy? Working on wood shop was out--safety concerns.

I hemmed and hawed. And then I heard a key in the back door... The teacher had arrived.

Whew. Saved.

(The teacher got stuck in traffic. It happens. Not frequently, but it happens.)

Their teacher there, I could leave. I was probably there for about five minutes.

17 comments:

  1. Knowing how bad Southern California traffic can be, it is surprising it doesn't happen more than it does with a teacher (or anyone) being late for work. I guess if in that situation, I would have tried to start a lively discussion about wood; best wood to use for carving, etc., see if they knew any of that.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man! That would have been perfect. In these situations, I'm generally flummoxed for things to talk about.

      Delete
  2. I would've been a bit lost trying to teach that class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They always manage to catch you and get you into another class, don't they? :) And wood shop too. Good thing the teacher was only running late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes. I would have been lost and doomed. But now you know, if it ever happens again, as Betty seemed to have some good ideas. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I wasn't going to be there long. If I thought I was actually going to be there for the full period, there were things I could have pulled out.

      Delete
  5. Good thing the teacher arrived quickly. I wouldn't have known what to do to keep wood shop class students entertained.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have asked them to tell me what they were making. I always wanted to take wood shop. Wasn't allowed for girls back in my day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the first thing I asked. They told me. But I didn't retain the information.

      Delete
  7. I got asked to do a last minute extra today - Practical P.E on a 40+ degree day! Got to love an Australian heatwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck. I hate PE generally. (Oh, next time you comment, would you put the link to your site? I'd love to visit you back.)

      Delete
  8. I hated covering classed back when I worked as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's amazing how long five minutes feels when you're not comfortable in the setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It didn't really feel that long. I guess I was just really sure he'd be there soon.

      Delete
  10. I suppose next time you could always get them to discuss why it wouldn't be a good idea for a sub to take woodshop class. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.