Friday, February 19, 2016

Better to Ask Permission


It was 7th period at the continuation high school. The bell rang. One boy stood at the door, looking out.

I urged the boy to sit down. It was time to get class started. He informed me that he didn't feel like sitting. So, I went over and closed the door.

(That was only half about him. I had the air conditioning on. I leave the door open between classes to urge the students to come in, but once class starts, I want to keep the cool air in.)

I passed out the assignment. I turned to the class to explain what they were to do, and the boy walked out.

Um... Okay...

After explaining what they were to do, I called roll. When I called the name Nathan, someone informed me that was the name of the boy who had left. Okay. I had a name. But I was marking him absent, because he wasn't in class and didn't have permission to be gone.

About a half hour later, Nathan returned. With the assignment. Not complete, because he hadn't been in class to get the instruction as to what all needed to be done.

I asked him where he went. He told me that he went to work in another class. Why? Because he didn't feel like being in the room we were in. (He might have been irritated with me.)

Have you heard the expression: it's better to ask forgiveness than permission? It seems like there's a lot of that going on at the continuation high school lately.

But it doesn't work there. Because, if he had asked to work in a different room, I probably would have let him. I did, in fact, give permission for five different students to work in different rooms that day. Each one of them asked to go.

Nathan? I informed the office about what happened, and he was marked as cutting class that period. Because, in this case, it is much better to ask permission.

19 comments:

  1. When you don't ask permission, you get in trouble. But when you do, it usually gets granted to you. There's a lesson for Nathan. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is just such a change in how kids act today and how I acted when I was in school. We would never have been allowed to just walk out of a class. I just don't understand this type of behavior. Guess there is a good chance I never will!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep in mind the location. No student ever walks out of class at the traditional high schools without permission. (Well, rarely.) The students at the continuation high school ended up there for a reason.

      Delete
  3. Whaaaat? He didn't feel like sitting? Oh, my, I'd glue him to the chair myself in my class LOL Like literally. We need military training in order to deal with the little punks these days

    ReplyDelete
  4. What some people think they can get away with. I wonder if the lesson will sink in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As frustrating as the behaviour is, I love the fact that somewhere like the Continuation High exists (it isn't something we do here, our system is different) because some kids aren't cut out for one size fits all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also from your twitter, I want the story about the Rock Paper Scissors soul stealing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. And I guess that is why he is at the continuation school; should have been asking permission on a lot of things I would have imagined.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boy they love to rattle the cage. Talk about trying to push how far he can go. Glad he was put on report, for lack of a better word

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that expression, especially if you are dealing with government red useless tape, but I feel your pain as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are situations where it is better to ask forgiveness. Just not at school when permission would have been granted if only asked for.

      Delete
  10. Wow! School has really changed since my school days. that's about all I have to say. I don't think I'd make a very good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hasn't really all that much. I bet there were kids who tried such things. And got smacked down just like he did.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.