Monday, February 29, 2016

Clocks and Progress

Today I have a bit of a rant. But for those of you who are keeping up with that big ol' thing I'm knitting, my weekly progress.

I started at...


Last week I got to...



And this week, I'm at...


Also, I finished the earrings, and now if you are so inclined, you can purchase a pair...

Bauble Earrings Multicolored Knit

The link in the caption takes you to the listing. Okay, and now for the Rant:

I have one of those atomic clocks. You know the ones?

Atomic Digital Wall Clock

Rather than having to set the thing, it links with some accurate clock someplace, making sure the time stays pretty close to "official time".

Only, as with all technology, it doesn't always work as advertised. Occasionally, it likes to slip into Daylight Saving Time. Like it did on Thursday. Note, it's February. We've got a couple weeks until DST returns.

Yep, so occasionally, I'll have to set the the thing or ignore the fact that it's a whole hour off.

I thought that was the only clock I had that failed.

The other day, I was on my cell phone. Email. Facebook. Candy Crush. You know the drill. It said it was 1:05.

There was one big problem. It couldn't have been 1:05. I was in the wrong place for it to be 1:05. I glanced at my other, human set, clock, and it said 12:05.

Whew. I was worried for a minute there. But that meant that something was wrong with my phone.

After some fiddling with the thing, I found the problem. My phone had my time zone listed as Denver. Um, no. Nowhere near Denver. So, I manually set the phone to Los Angeles (close enough), and went on with my day.

At the end of the day, I checked the phone's settings again. When I put it back on automatic, it showed the proper time zone. I went to bed thinking the problem was fixed.

I use my phone for my alarm clock. Best alarm clock ever. I'm weird when it comes to how I wake up in the morning, and I have managed to configure the phone to handle this perfectly. (It only took 30 years for the technology to catch up to what I need.)

I bet you see what's coming...

My alarm went off. Only, my bedside clock showed it was an hour too early...

Yup. Phone thought I was in Denver again.

*grumble, grumble, grumble*

Okay, fine. So the phone is now permanently manually on Los Angeles. Because the alarm going off an hour early just sucks.

23 comments:

  1. That's odd it kept resetting to Denver. And yes, waking an hour early sucks because you can never get back to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had to reset the clock on my laptop a few days ago because I noticed it hadn't changed (although it's supposed to) for Day Light Savings.

    The multicolored earrings are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not fun! I wonder what actually controls the time settings for these clocks that change automatically. Is it satellite - activated? Strange stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a clock someplace that's the official time. It sends out a signal that all other clocks read. Or something like that.

      Delete
  4. My phone did that once. I can't even remember where it thought I was, but it was way off from where I actually was, and what the actual time was there.

    Ain't technology grand?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's crazy! I am glad I no longer have to wake to an alarm. Because if the alarm woke me and it was an hour before I had to awaken...well I wouldn't be happy. Hope you have it all figured out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sort of. For the moment. Until something else decides to go wrong.

      Delete
  6. Wow, look at it. I feel like I'm looking at "baby", "child", and "teenager". I wonder how your phone got set to Denver time. That's a pretty far cry from California. Especially annoying since it decided to wake you up early.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knitting is looking good :)

    I do agree, manually set to avoid getting up an hour early and if you are like me, once awake, I rarely get back to sleep.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have that issue. Anymore. Used to, but now I can fall back asleep easily.

      Delete
  8. I use an old school alarm clock. Well, not that old school, it is digital. But it's louder than my phone. I do wonder if it's just my household that has the car clock and the oven clock an hour out for half the year because we don't know how to change them...

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like you are doing well with your creation and those earrings are very cute. I have no idea about phones like that but better than turning on an hour late and being late which has happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doing battle with technology drives me crazy. Is there any solution out there? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how the alarm used to be, I'm quite happy with my phone. Most of the time.

      Delete
  11. I always wanted to ask how do you wash the woollen things? The sweaters etc

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the knitting! And too bad you don't live in Denver...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing against Denver. I've heard it's a beautiful city.

      Delete
  13. I am already always 30 min early so this oopsie would have really surprised people

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you probably don't need an alarm clock to get you up in the morning. I, unfortunately, do.

      Delete
  14. So what is the big project? I'm assuming a blanket... It seems to be coming along nicely.

    I regularly have issues with the alarm on my phone. I just don't get along well with alarm clocks in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't either until I got the iPhone. It's taken some time, but now it works for me. When the phone works.

      Delete
  15. Oh man. I would have ranty pants over that too. I use my cell for the alarm and agree..it's great! My computer keeps trying to put me in DC or did Oklahoma last week. So weird.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.