Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Her Rules


As a sub, sometimes I have to explain to a class that as I am the one in charge for the day, the class may have to do something different than they are used to. But it's okay because I'm instructing them differently.

Sometimes the students try to turn this to their advantage.

Normally, if a class asks to listen to music (via their phones using earbuds), I say okay. If it's a general individual bookwork assignment, this is the quickest way to get them on task and focused (and not talking to a neighbor).

But, I know Ms. M's reputation. She is a fairly strict by-the-rules teacher. I know she doesn't permit her students listening to music. So, her room, her rules.

(Classes run better when the rules are consistent. For a sub to get the best behavior from a class, that class needs to run like it would normally if their teacher was there. So, I try to enforce the rules the teacher normally has. As long as I know what those rules are.)

"But this is your class today. You can let us."

Well, yeah. True. But I wasn't going to.

20 comments:

  1. Way to go. I had to use that attitude in my "classroom" today. Young son thought he DESERVED to play video games after finishing his school work for the day. Um, yeah right, Mr. Attitude. He's still trying to earn them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's best to stick by the rules of the regular teacher. Good call on your part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree that things go better if your just stick to the rules!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh much better to have consistency and not have the teacher be disapproving of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet they were all hoping for a little break from the rules! Oh well. Sometimes we all have to follow orders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If they break the rules with you, they'll want to break the rules with every sub. And can even rat you out to the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. That's why it's good to have a good reputation. Teachers are more likely to believe me now.

      Delete
  7. Good to keep to the basic rules of the teacher and deviate a bit for your style if appropriate :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Usually, if I deviate, it's to be stricter than the teacher. Except for the music thing.

      Delete
  8. I would definitely stick to the rules the regular teacher has in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do to the best of my ability. I don't always know, though.

      Delete
  9. I'm sure the regular teacher would have appreciated you doing that. I agree with what Chrys above said.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'd like that Ms :) Kids should never be in control in the school. Like nevah evah! In that age they need to listen in order to gain discipline in life

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's great that you know what the regular teachers want and stick with it as best you can. I'm sure they appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I know. Some teachers are unknown to me, so I have to guess. But I've met this teacher.

      Delete
  12. Good going. I'm impressed that you work everyday and know the different systems

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not all of them. Most days I'm flying blind. But I've met this teacher.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.