Thursday, February 4, 2016

A Student's Lament


I mentioned yesterday that I got to administer finals to a 9th grade English class. The teacher also taught honors classes. If you're unfamiliar with the term--honors are classes that are a bit more academically rigorous. Meaning, the classes tend to be filled with students who are a bit more... well, easier to work with.

The "regular" classes got The Wizard of Oz for their final. The honors classes had just finished reading Lord of the Flies, so the first part of their final was to watch the movie version.

Then they had a writing prompt...


They... Well, they hated the movie. This boy's paper was right on top, and some of what he said made me laugh. He didn't mince words...


And I just love this. He included a P.S...


(You can click on these to make them larger.)

This is why I hate showing videos to classes. I don't care if it's the best thing ever put to film. They'll hate it.

(By the way, he complained that the 12-year-old characters looked 7. No, they didn't. They looked 12. At least, they looked 12 to me.)

17 comments:

  1. You witnessed a young mind questioning today. That is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. And he felt comfortable enough to offer his real response, which I applaud.

      Delete
  2. I've always found it interesting how things looked to me as a kid and how they look to me now. My grandparents, for instance, lived in a mansion (huge) when I was growing up. Now I see it as a small, 3 bedroom house with a basement!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, different perspectives are good for a small child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This boy wasn't "small". He's 14 (or maybe 15).

      Delete
  4. I love the last P.S.S. had me laughing out loud! I did read the book years ago, I'm not going to see the movie based on his "review" of it :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as I saw the PSS, I knew it was my blog post.

      Delete
  5. Hey at least he was able to express his opinion plus his pses were hilarious. I give him a solid B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, well, that's a question for the teacher who came up with the lesson plan. He must have really hated that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember how, when I was young, "old" was probably 25 or 30. You just don't see age in the same way when you are young. Makes me wonder how old those actors really were. And I loved the PPS sorry! (perhaps that student is a budding film critic - come back in 20 years) Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he may go into film critique. And I never take them seriously when they talk about age. They have no idea. (Nor did I at that age.)

      Delete
  8. LOL the makings of a critique, indeed. Love his PS & PPS.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What? They say GARBAGE in their essays? They need an officer to put them in their places :) There is no respect in some of today's generations. I'd probably make him/her write five more essays as a punishment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liz, watching an education film in school was a fun part of school for myself and classmates. I don't think we were ever assigned to watch a movie outside of class. Of course, that was in the day when you couldn't rent or stream videos. It's obvious the kid watched the movie. He could've argued his disdain for the film with more eloquence. If I done something like that, then I would have been reprimanded by my teacher or my parents or both. Sadly, people are changing for the worse over time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good story Liz. Silly comment I know, but that white board really needs some attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! You'd think that white boards would erase, wouldn't you? But some... That marker sticks like nobody's business, and you have to use a cleaner to get it shiny white.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.