Friday, February 26, 2016

Not Going to React


Graphic arts class at the continuation high school. It was the last day to finish their current project. I had taken roll and was strolling around, doing my usual checking in on the students.

I stood over one boy. He had a box cutter in his hand. He was playing with the thing that pushed the blade out and pulled it back in.

I asked him what he was doing. He claimed that it was his box cutter and that he had brought it from home.

But he hadn't. Earlier in the day, I had noticed the box cutter sitting on a table in the middle of the room. I figured it was needed for various projects, so I had let it be. I didn't think I needed to hide the thing.

I think the boy was looking for some sort of reaction. A box cutter could be considered a weapon, and I could have gotten the administration of the school involved. It could have gotten ugly.

But I knew the box cutter wasn't his. So instead, I told him I knew where he had gotten it, and he needed to put it back.

He did. And that was that.

I don't think they think sometimes. Or perhaps they want to scare the sub. I've learned to underreact to things. It diffuses many a situation.

Some weeks I have so many good subbing stories, there is no way to get them all down. And then there are weeks like this one. A week where I have three days of 8th graders...who behaved. I mean, seriously? I ask a class of 8th graders to work silently, and they do? It made for a good week for me personally, but the blog... Ah well.

20 comments:

  1. May your luck continue!
    He was probably just looking for a reaction. You're right, best not to give it to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you include it in your note to the teacher for the day? I agree, not reacting and handling it like you did was a good thing to do.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't. If he hadn't easily given it up, then I would have. As it was, it was only a minor incident.

      Delete
  3. Hey, let's celebrate your week of no drama, I think that's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here, he would have been wrestled to the ground, handcuffed, and expelled. Not too long ago, a 6 year old nibbled his pop tart into the shape of a gun. Expelled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, if I had gone reported it, I'm sure it would have gone just like that.

      Delete
  5. Kids that age aren't exactly known for their skills at reason and thinking things through. It's lucky for him that you didn't react because the school definitely would overreact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think sometimes it is good not to react! But, I'm not sure when it comes to weapons we should keep quiet. A box cutter is a weapon. I am glad he put it back and life went on though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I hadn't seen the box cutter on the table previously, if I hadn't known that he was going for a reaction, I would have called the office. I don't put up with them mock hitting each other, so I wouldn't have put up with a "weapon". No way. But I don't think he realized how big of a deal that would have become.

      A while ago, I had a student joking around talking about how another student's brother beat her. I explained that I am a mandated reporter for child abuse. She retracted that statement so fast. (If I thought for a second she hadn't been kidding in the first place, I would have reported it.)

      I don't think they think things through sometimes. In this situation, the consequences far outweighed the offense.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad they mostly behaved, even if that doesn't provide much blog material.

    Good for you for being able to "under" react. I think it does help in some situations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did the right thing for sure. It's always best to never react..glad you trusted your instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's obvious that you are experienced and have to confidence to trust your judgment. As a sub I'm sure you are exposed to perhaps a much wider variety of behaviors than the student's regular teachers do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS. Love, love, love the new background!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely correct. Half the time they're just looking for a reaction. No need to escalate something that can be downplayed. P.S. I've shut down by blog if you've been looking for it, Liz, but I shall start a new one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned this the hard way. It involved a fire extinguisher and billowing smoke (which, it turned out, came from the fire extinguisher).

      Delete
  12. Liz, it amazes me to think that this kid would purposely say the box cutter was his. Like you pointed out, today if a kid brought said box cutter to school they'd see it as a weapon. You defused the problem and handled the situation without incident. I applaud you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.