Monday, December 11, 2017

Mini Santa Hat Headband

As of "press time" I had not completed the project with the wire covered in knitting (crochet?). I got sidetracked...


It's a mini Santa hat on a headband!

I saw a kiddo wearing one a year (two years?) ago, and it's been sitting on my "knitting to-do list" since then. I noticed it the other day, and I realized I had all the pieces I needed. I repurposed the white headband I'd already made (the kitty ears came off easily), and I found a mini Santa hat pattern on Pinterest.

Et voila!


In case any knitters want to take a stab at this, I'm including all the links you'll need:

The headband pattern I posted this past February.

The mini Santa hat pattern is here. I used Caron's Simply Soft yarn (I had this on hand already) on size 6 double pointed needles. (I ended up with a gauge of 6 sts per inch.) My hat ended up bigger than the pattern intended, but it was about the size I wanted.

I can't find the link for the "poof" on the tip of the top. I used Lion Brand Fun Fur and made a knitted bead. (If I can track down the pattern I used, I'll edit this post and include the link.) However, the hat pattern has a "pom pom" part, or you can improvise something different.

Assembly:

Once the headband and hat were complete, I put a little fiberfill into the hat (just enough to fill the bottom half lightly), and I grafted the hat to the headband using white yarn. (It was the same yarn I used for both the brim of the hat and the cover of the headband.)

Then I folded the hat so it had that jaunty angle, and I tacked the top to the middle.

This thing is too much fun. If you make one, would you please tag me if you post it to Instagram, Twitter, or Ravelry? I'm @ZiziRho. I would love to see other people's interpretations of these.

25 comments:

  1. Another version of A Cat in a Hat! Looks very fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, is that where it comes from? Makes sense.

      Delete
  2. Cute! Are you going to wear it to school?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe. It depends on how the day before the break goes.

      Delete
  3. Cute! You could do a matching elf hat as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As others said, "Cute!" Not something I'll be wearing, but it's cute.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that's what it was! It still looks different than I thought it would. That is the cutest thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute!!! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This turned out great!!! And thank you for the patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha...that is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is funny and would be so much fun to wear it at work....but not when I am seeing clients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm debating whether or not to put these up for sale. Maybe next year.

      Delete
  10. Oh...I got the woman’s website who did the felt jellyfish so you can see what she does. http://triflydesign.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think I found it the other day. Interesting stuff. Felting is a lot of work, too. It produces a more fuzzy product.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.