Thursday, December 14, 2017

Instead of Working


On Tuesday (and Wednesday and Thursday) I was back at the continuation high school. English class. They had several assignments online.

(The entire English department in the district has switched over to this textbook/online system. Imagine an interactive textbook. That's kind of what it's like.)

They were supposed to be working on prelim stuff for "Song of Myself". And many of them were on task. The room was fairly quiet.

But then I noticed that several of them were focused on one student's computer. And they were laughing. So, clearly they weren't on task. They were watching something.

I didn't want to investigate. What were they watching now? Popular time killers include soccer games, fights, video games, and just random stupidness.

I meandered over to stand where I could see what they were all reacting to. (I can also make it clear I'm Going Over to Investigate, and in that case they stop whatever it is pretty quickly and pretend they were on task all along. Depending on what outcome I want--whether I want to know what they were watching or whether I just want them to get on task--determines how I approach.)

I was not expecting what I found...


I'm not sure if I'm annoyed or impressed. I mean, obviously I would have rather found them watching the introductory video for "Song of Myself" (the assignment). But as far as what could have been entertaining them, this is not bad.

I think they really liked the egg crate device holder.

11 comments:

  1. At least they were learning something useful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's what I thought too. A bit. I'm just glad it wasn't something inappropriate (which happens way more frequently than I'd like).

      Delete
  2. Egg crates - who knew they were so useful? Well, I guess those students do now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'm going to have to watch this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, poetry. I'd prefer the lifehacks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, I watched it longer than I thought I would haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like watching these life hacks. I can see why the kids would too. At least useful information here instead of some silly stuff offered on YouTube.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least they were learning something and egg cartons are great for many things

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.