Friday, April 28, 2023

X-change

Yup, I'm cheating a bit with the title. It's X day. We all cheat on X day.

Friday. It was the end of my first week in Ms. A's classes. It was snack time, and I was sitting, waiting. Dr. T walked in. 

Dr. T is one of the assistant principals, and he makes me feel really old. How old? I remember when Dr. T was a student at this school. I subbed for him when he was a teacher there. In the room where he took the history class that he then taught. 

Anyway...

Dr. T had a question about the state testing. Of course, I wasn't present for the state testing, Mr. P was. Which Dr. T knew. As Mr. P was covering a new long term on campus, Dr. T could go to him directly to find out the answer to his question. Which is what he did.

But then Dr. T came to find me again during fourth period. (At which point I was on the other side of campus as that was the leadership class, and they were making posters for a lunch time activity.) 

It turns out that Mr. P hadn't quite finished all the testing the eleventh graders needed to do. Rather than trying to get me up to speed by Monday, they came up with a better solution. I could exchange places with Mr. P for the classes that needed to be tested. As long as I agreed. 

Why wouldn't I agree? 

(Technically, Mr. P shouldn't be in the class as he's reached his maximum number of days, but in this instance he's proctoring a test, not teaching per se, so it's probably allowed. Just don't tell anyone, okay?) 

So, my whole plan for the following week (including a quiz on The Great Gatsby), out the window. Sigh.

On the plus side, the plans for the week just got pushed back, so that's two fewer days of lessons I have to figure out for the kiddos. 

It's the variety that I enjoy in subbing. This sort of thing is totally in my wheelhouse. Should make for an interesting week. (I'll tell you all about it next week. Probably.)

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

11 comments:

  1. I can see how the variety would be nice. Oh, testing... I was not a popular parent, I opted my two younger kids out! Teachers don't tell parents it's an option. A high school principal told the students who didn't speak much English not to come to school those days. This was in CA, not my current OR. I'm not sure if you can opt out here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opting out hurts the school, but yeah, parents have power in CA and can totally just have the kiddos not.

      Delete
  2. That's pretty cool you knew Dr. T when he was a student on campus. Time does fly, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You taught one of the teachers. Does he remember you at all?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Imagine that you've worked with someone for years. Their younger child was a baby when they started at your company, a couple of years after you did. Now, the baby just started full time work at your company - and, oh, also, he is a college graduate. It makes you feel like you belong in a museum exhibit. This has happened to me. Not the museum exhibit part, although I expect that one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that definitely makes you feel old.

      Delete
  5. Wow, just how long have you been subbing/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a huge crush on a teacher when I was in 7th grade. I wasn’t in his class, but he was the drama club advisor and I was in the spring musical. 30 years later he was my daughter’s 8th grade English teacher. I was thrilled, but I think he felt old.

    Drew’s cardiologist is the son of two people he’d been friends with back in the 70’s. He lost touch with them right after they got married.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.