Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Deluge

Wednesday morning it was pouring down rain. Drivers around these parts are terrible in the rain, and this morning it had been a lot to get to work. And then, turning into the parking lot at school, the school bus cut me off. 

I was frazzled as I was setting up for the day. I heard a pounding at the classroom door. Someone was outside, crying loudly. So, of course, I opened the door.

Reggie was not happy to see me. Instantly, she remembered that Ms. V had told them the day before that she wouldn't be in class. 

Reggie set down her backpack and exited the room, although with stops as she tried to breathe. She was crying quite hard. I offered to let her stay in the room, but she wasn't interested. 

What to do? Clearly, she wasn't going to open up to a stranger, but there was no way she was going to be able to be in class. 

I called the office that was steps from the classroom. I opened by saying I wasn't sure who to call, but that there was a student in distress who needed someone. The office replied that one of the counselors was on her way as they had also heard the student crying. 

That's about when the warning bell before period one rang, so I went to open the door for the students. Ms. L, the counselor, arrived and gently urged Reggie towards the office. 

And we started our day.

I wonder what happened with Reggie. Teenage emotions can run high, but clearly something set this off. 

The rain tapered off by noon. 

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter 

22 comments:

  1. I wonder what happened to Reggie to make her so upset. Kids can be so mean that age, so I hope it wasn't a bullying incident.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oof. Yeah, it's tough trying to help a student that needs deescalating (hey, another D word!). My son has been that student on many occasions.

    I think I'd take rain over the snow we've been getting lately. It'd mean the temperature was that little bit warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, if we ever got snow... Well, as I always joke, it did make national news. (No snow *here*, but there was in the vicinity--about two counties over.)

      Delete
  3. Glad you were able to get her some help. I'm imagining what each of you experienced.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The counselor heard her as well, so if I had done nothing, someone still would have been there for her.

      Delete
  4. It could have been something minor to something huge. At that age, you react with the same force either way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry you e periwnced horrible driving. Bus drivers can be one of fhe worst.
    That poor girl...I'm glad you got the counsellor. I hope she wasn't bullied. It so rough at this age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what set it off. I hope she's okay.

      Delete
  6. At least someone was willing to help her. And take her off your hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have totally helped if she had let me. But, they don't trust "strangers" generally.

      Delete
  7. We all seem to be getting flooded with rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so not built for it. We were feeling water-logged for weeks.

      Delete
  8. I hope Reggie is okay and got the help they needed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teenage is a challenging time, for the individual as well as for others. Hope that was just a passing phase for Reggie, and it's all sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - I too wonder about Reggie - but I thought the school was under flood warning again - thankfully not in this instance. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope she'll be ok. Some days I just start crying at the sight of a single thing that tears me back to some other point in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny what'll set us off. It could have been anything that upset her.

      Delete
  12. I do not miss teenage-hood. Every stage of life can be complicated, but yikes... I wish her (and you!) all the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea if it was a major upset or just teenage hormones. I don't think I'll ever know.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.