Thursday, April 20, 2023

Quick Fix

Last week was spring break. As is my custom, I am posting the events from the week before the break this week now that we are back in school.

Tuesday. First period. 

It was the teacher I was covering's conference period, so I was sent to cover a math special ed co-teacher. The general ed teacher arrived at the warning bell, and she went to set up as I stood at the door letting the students in.

"We have a sub!"

Uh, no. It was kind of fun to watch their disappointment as they entered the room and saw that Ms. S was there.

But, as Ms. S began setting up her lesson for the day, she ran into some technical issues. (She was trying to get her computer to project, which is how she shows the examples and such, but the computer wasn't connecting to the big screen.) Luckily, the teacher next door was fairly tech savvy, so she called out to him to help.

(The bell hadn't rung to start the day quite yet. Mr. F had just arrived and was letting his students in his classroom.) 

As the "extra" in this situation, I traded places with Mr. F so he could attempt to fix Ms. S's problem. 

Mr. F handed a stack of papers to a student to pass out, and then he went to the math room while I went into his seventh grade world history classroom. 

"We have a sub!?!"

Uh, did you see that Mr. F was right there?

The bell rang. I got the students seated while that one boy passed out the assignment. It turned out to be a study guide for a test. 

I explained that Mr. F was just next door, that he'd be back in class soon, and that they should probably get started on the study guide as it likely looked like their test.

"Have you taken roll yet?"

Uh? I wasn't expecting to be in the class for longer than a few minutes. Their teacher would take roll when he returned. 

(That boy then asked me twice more if I had taken roll. I guess he wanted to surreptitiously slip to a seat next to his friend. I don't know what part of I'm-not-taking-roll-as-Mr.-F-will-when-he-returns was hanging him up, but he didn't quite get it.) 

Mr. F returned. Although, not. He needed a cable, and while he was there, he opened the Chromecart and told the students to get started as they had a test Thursday. Then he left again.

Ah, they needed computers. That explained why they weren't working. 

It was a couple more minutes. The students had all they needed, but many weren't working. But they were contained, so that was all I could do, really. 

Then Mr. F returned. For good. And I went to cover the class I had actually been sent to cover.

I joined the math lesson, already in progress. (They also had a test coming on Thursday.)

(Ms. S's computer wouldn't connect to the internet. Mr. F plugged her in to a physical internet connection. Later, the campus' tech help person stopped by and fixed the issue.) 

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

8 comments:

  1. And, of course, you would never consider a student asking three times if you've taken roll suspicious in some way. Of course you wouldn't. Shaking head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I taught middle school at a Christian school. They were elitist children and it was awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle schoolers can be such fun /sarcasm.

      Delete
  3. Darn tech stuff anyhow. Did you take the roll? Just kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate tech issues. The kid wanted it his way. Many people just do not listen. I repeat myself about 4 to 5 times each day per person. It gets worse when they don't want yo hear what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And don't make a sign about what you're telling people. They ignore the sign and you just have to repeat yourself anyway.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.