Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Cheating

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder.

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news.

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉 

What if you were accidentally given access to something that you were not supposed to have? (I will only specify that this access won't physically harm another person or animal.) Would you maintain that access? Would you use it? Or would you lock the proverbial door so you couldn't use it?

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

11 comments:

  1. wow, you really leave the WHAT IF'S wide open! I guess it would really depend on what that access got me to as to keeping or not keeping. If it made my life easier and it was not hurting anyone that I have it....yes, I would prob keep it. There again, I would prob use it along with keeping it, for what would be the reason to keep if not used??? Close the door on it, if it was not useful to me or someone I know, I would prob do that. Like most WHAT IF'S, it depends on a lot of factors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my... that does depend on what is accessed! If I was given access to a streaming service, like Hulu, in error, I might use it until they noticed. I've found that it's hard to argue with computers, and even when I've told employees errors were made, they let it go. Or, it takes time for them to change things. I wouldn't take physical access, such as membership to a museum or something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd use it and thank my lucky stars! I'd think Santa Claus intervened and gave me a gift through somebody I don't know. I'd be jumping up and down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd Be using it for sure. My curiosity almost always wins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may incriminate me …

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it was something I could use (like a website behind a payroll that I happen to like) yes, I would use it. At one time I might have tried to find out if it was something I got in error and someone paid for but trying to track down the owner of a package I received by mistake back in 2020 taught me otherwise. Long story that I blogged about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd be curious but guilt would get to me, so I'd lock the proverbial door.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It depend who said I shouldn't have it.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it's something that could land me in jail if I use it, then I would definitely lock the door.

    Happy Easter, Liz

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.