Friday, April 21, 2023

Reviewing the Lesson Plan

Last week was spring break. As is my custom, I saved the posts from the week before the break until now when we're back in school. I will post about this week's events next week.

I managed to catch a full week assignment the week before spring break.  

As luck would have it, I was across the way from the class the Friday before, so I had a chance to touch base with the teacher, and she gave me a heads up on what the assignments for the week would be.

Sunday. 

The U.S. history classes would be watching Selma. Ms. M gave me the link to the movie in the lesson plan, so I was testing it out. I wanted to make sure everything would work so I didn't have to scramble first thing Monday morning.

And... It turned out that I couldn't access the movie. 

I texted Ms. M. Told her the issue. I tried what she said got it to work for her. No dice. 

We reasoned that perhaps it worked at school on school Wi-Fi, and because I was at home, that's why I couldn't access the movie. 

Monday morning, I got into the classroom, and I immediately attempted to log in. 

Yeah, well, it didn't work. Everything that Ms. M said to do got me the exact same result as me attempting it at home. Sigh. 

Although, I had a feeling that would happen, so I took out some insurance. (I thought perhaps she had found a pirated copy somewhere and it was taken down. I was right.) I subscribed to the streaming service that had it. 

(I wouldn't normally do this. But I just had to add Showtime to my Paramount Plus subscription. The price was well worth the panic I didn't have to go through Monday morning. And I could always cancel it later.)

Ms. M has a copy of the movie on DVD. But, none of the current computers have DVD drives. I have run into this issue before, but then I had time to go searching for an alternate solution. This time I did not.

Ah well. Perhaps there's something on Showtime I can watch before I cancel. Anyone have any suggestions? (I already saw Everything Everywhere All at Once.)

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

19 comments:

  1. I’m glad you figured it out beforehand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. That would have been an ugly scramble on Monday.

      Delete
  2. No DVD drives on the computers is the real crime here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing you planned ahead but it is interesting how much of teaching nowadays requires you to be wrestling with technology. I don't get the premium channels so I can't help you with Showtime picks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's no reason to. I've been looking for something to watch, but nothing jumps out. Ah well, it's like I spent $2 per day per class for peace of mind. Well worth the expense..

      Delete
  4. Selma was a pretty good movie. We watched it not too long ago, but I can't recall where we saw it. I think it was on Showtime. A friend of mine had a part in the film. He played a sheriff or something like that. He frequently gets typecast as a redneck cop but he has that look I guess.

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually are spring break is end of March or first part of April.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thecontemplativecat here. The old reel to reel film projectors were great. I kept a few reels and could pull one out when needed. Subs? Did they know how to thread the film? VCRs were easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, VCRs were easier, but they had their own issues. I don't miss having to put in video tapes for classes.

      Delete
  7. I don't use my computer CD drive, but I know a lot of people who need it. I know someone who didn't specifically order a computer to have one, and they aren't default anymore, and she was not happy! I like your knitted letters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized too late that my computer does have a DVD drive. Sigh. But I would have had to bring it from home, and would the cables fit...? Technology is ever evolving.

      I knew I had to do knitted letters, so I took a couple months to get them finished. 2015? Around that time.

      Delete
  8. I like your knitted letter.
    I've never once used the CD drive on my laptop!

    Hugs and blessings, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Technology can be a pain. This last laptop I purchased don't have the CD slot, just slots for thumb drives. It drives me nuts. When I would shoot a wedding I would burn to a CD, which buying in bulk is cheap, and give that to the bride and groom, now I have to purchase more expensive thumb drives to pass out. One reason why I am also dialing back more on shooting for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you include the price of the thumb drive in your price to shoot the weddings? Or is there a way to upload them online to a place only the couple can access? Technology evolves, so there should be a simpler solution, but I don't know what it is.

      Delete
  10. I bought an external DVD player with my last computer which I don’t use much any more but it’s handy to retrieve old photos and play old CDs and movies. It’s only small. I’m glad you sorted the problem. You certainly put a lot of prep into that lesson but it would have. Even great once it was up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, having a small DVD player would be useful. I've seen them. I just haven't been able to justify buying another thing that I probably won't use.

      Delete
  11. At least you figured out what to do. I love my DVD player and my 1,000+ movies. I would watch "Living" with Bill Nighy.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.