Saturday, April 8, 2023

Going Incognito (Mode)

When Blogger did that update thing that seemed to break comments, suddenly I had issues perusing blogs from school. 

(I know, I probably shouldn't be reading blogs when I'm supposed to be working. But there are days where I'm just watching the kiddos work quietly, and that can get really boring really quickly.)

I eventually found a solution to the problem that works for me, and since I know I'm not the only one with the issue, I thought I'd share. (Besides, I don't have a plan for Saturdays other than a picture, and I already did the Canadian geese in a previous year.) 

Although, first, I should mention that when I'm perusing blogs while at work, I am in Incognito Mode.

I do Incognito Mode for a specific reason. When I am logged into the computer at work, I am logged in using my work credentials. I have a whole Google account with bookmarked links for the attendance software and other websites I need to access. I get official district emails. I have a Google Drive with documents I use. 

I know there's a way to use a second Google profile while working in Google, but using Incognito Mode keeps things separate nicely, and passwords don't intermingle. 

This all worked just fine for a long time. And then, one day, it didn't.

It turned out the fix was dead simple. I had to turn on cookies. 

When this is lit up blue, cookies are being blocked, and I can't log in to Blogger. That means my comments are Anonymous. With this off, I can comment as normal.

It took me way too long to figure this out. So, I'm sharing. 

Are your cookies enabled? (Have you cleared your cookies lately?) 

I mean, there are good reasons to disable cookies. This is tracking information. But they are apparently needed if you want to log in to certain commenting functions. (I haven't changed this on my blog because I like to reply to comments directly. The other way, I can't.)

Today's A to Z Challenge post brought to you by the letter

18 comments:

  1. Holy cookies Batman! Maybe this is my issue with my new iPad. I am showing up as anonymous. I will look for this and see if that's my issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your cookies are turned off. Apple does do that.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I have two personal accounts. I keep them separate. This may help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier to keep different accounts for things. I understand.

      Delete
  3. No, I am not quite regular with clearing cookies. I do so randomly only when some page isn't loading properly or I am not able to get to a particular site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I can't seem to comment on any Blogger blogs when using either my iPhone or iPad. And, on my computer, with certain Blogger blogs I get messages asking me to accept cookies, which I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. I'm pretty sure Apple by default turns cookies off. It's worth a look.

      Delete
  5. thecontemplativecat@blogspot.com here. Eye opening points you shared. I am so bloody tired of wrestling with Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't we all? That's what happens when one company monopolizes everything. Sigh.

      Delete
  6. Cookies aren't the only problem. Mine are enabled but I still can't comment on some blogs. If you don't have a pop-up window for comments, I'm finding I can't comment on blogs using blogger using Chrome as my browswer. I have to switch to Mozilla as my browser.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always try my best to keep my cookies cleared.....off my plate! lol....yes, I do go in and clear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think about them once in a blue moon, so you're doing better than me.

      Delete
  8. I always just blindly accept cookies on any site that asks me to. Should do better about clearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a good tip! I have multiple accounts also, so to make switching easier I just use one browser for personal stuff and another for my blogger account - it keeps everything nice and separate and makes it easier. I never thought of using incognito!

    It's easy for me to have 2 separate browsers as I keep all my bookmarks separate. I don't access any blogging stuff or even personal stuff at work (due to the nature of my work personal email and gmail sites etc are all blocked anyway even if I did find time to browse).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are things that are blocked at school, but for the most part I can access blogs. It's good for when I have down time.

      Delete
  10. For me I have separate "Work" and "Home" Google accounts. So this lets me use either where ever I am and on what ever device.
    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side, The A to Z of Doctor Who

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, modern living. Thank you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.