Tuesday, August 1, 2023

The Big Winner

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

Apparently, there has been a big jackpot in the Powerball lottery. These things come up every so often, and I only marginally hear about them. Which leads to today's question.

What if you won a huge jackpot (I'm thinking nearing $1 billion), but to claim it, you had to be publicly identified (on the news and such)?

9 comments:

  1. that kind of money, is that kind of money and if that is the only way to claim if, so be it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it was a huge jackpot I'd see financial planners and real estate brokers ASAP and hope the money could be sheltered.Many years ago someone I had frequent contact with at a company we did business with won the lottery and it was not a happy story - I rarely play the lottery for just that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would get my accountant and lawyer line up first. I would like keep it under wrap.
    I hardly play the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good question. Anonymity in such a situation is especially important. And as Alana stated, I understand that lottery winners seldom end up content. Money cannot buy happiness while poverty brings misery. I like staying in-between. :D Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd claim it! I don't have greedy relatives to come out of the woodwork. Or, if I do, they don't know where I live. Or where I'd be moving! I like my house, but with that kind of money I'd move to the coast. Right off I'd get professional advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On my phone, which is unusual. It's Lisa, https://lisasgardenadventureinoregon.blogspot.com

      Delete
  6. I would claim it, but not before setting up a new address, getting lawyers, financial advises and a plan in place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd hate it because all the " friends" and dumb ass relatives would come out of the woodwork. Now if it's the only way to get the mulah...well, bring it on...lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd definitely claim it, but I'd talk to attorneys and accountants first about how to do it and protect our privacy as much as possible. I'd also try to time claiming it when something big was in the news in hopes that my story would get lost.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.