Thursday, August 31, 2023

Needed Info

It was Tuesday, day two of my new long-term subbing assignment, and as per normal, I was scrambling.

Mr. P had given me the lessons he had intended to teach. My next door neighbor also teaches 9th grade English (I've subbed for her many times), and we conferred on what she was doing. (My plan is to follow what she's doing. We're teaching the same subject.)

I knew I had third period conference, which meant after the first period, I'd have an hour and a half to get some stuff set up for the class. (The school is on block schedule, and Tuesday was a 1-3-5-7 periods day.) 

When I arrived at school and opened my email, I had a message from the sub desk. I was assigned a 3rd period to cover.

I ran up to the office so I could get the copies I had intended to get done during third period copied (as I need them for fifth and seventh periods). As the 145 packets of four pages were copying (with printer jams and then not stapling which was the reason I was going to take my time third period doing it), I ran into another teacher.

Ms. M has transitioned into a different position, but she used to teach English language development. Which is the class I have first period. We got to talking, and she offered to share some of the lessons she used for her classes when she had them. 

(I have one period of ELD and five of English 9. I had a plan for ELD, but having these other lessons is so much better.)

Third period, I made my way to the extra period I was covering. It was a co-taught class, so I was just there for extra assistance. They were doing some testing...

It was also an English class. Was I expected to do this testing in my classes? Yup. And no one had told me.

So, now I know.

While it made the day so much harder having to jump into that extra period, if I hadn't had to go, there were two things I wouldn't have gotten/learned. So, it was kind of a win. Sort of.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And I'm still waiting on access to the testing site. Grrrr.

      Delete
  2. I think my hair would be gone, from pulling it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a scramble. I'm still scrambling.

      Delete
  3. And you thought the year started out so quiet, with no sub jobs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I must have said "I'm bored" somewhere. I really should know better by now.

      Delete
  4. Hair raising ... I admire you for coping! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nowadays they do it many times :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Test makes me ner vous.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.