Friday, September 1, 2023

Not Quite Lunchtime

It was Friday of my first week in the long-term English 9 assignment. I had (barely) gotten through second period (my worst class) and fourth period had just left. I shut down the smart board and went to sit down at the desk.

A couple students walked in and headed for their desks.

That's when I realized... it wasn't lunchtime yet. I still had sixth period.

Hurriedly, I turned back on the smart board, got the slides they needed up and running, and got to the door to greet the students.

Yikes.

I mean, I know the schedule. While this school wasn't on block schedule last year, another school was, so I knew of the long three hours between snack and lunch. But I had a brain fart or something, and I thought it was time to sit and rest...

No such luck. 

At least sixth period isn't awful. I'm still learning the groups and the kiddos, but so far, they've been lovely. 

And lunch came after sixth period (which is an hour and a half long).

9 comments:

  1. Sixth period is an hour and a half long or lunch time. Hopefully the latter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 6th period is an hour and a half long. I would love a long lunch, but alas, lunch is 30 minutes.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yeah, things booted up quickly, so they barely noticed my oopsie.

      Delete
  3. The periods sound different from when I was in school. Full classes were seven periods, most students took six, fewer when seniors. Lunch would have been earlier than it sounds like there. I'm glad those students came in the room in time for you to catch yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The block schedule is new. This school just started it this year. 8 periods total, 4 periods a day. Lunch is at 1:30, which is late, really, but it can't be earlier for reasons. (Too long to explain.)

      Delete
  4. I will have to google an smart board.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand that kind of deflating minor letdown. Ugh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the bright side, I have been really aware of not doing it again. Because I've wanted to.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.