Thursday, September 21, 2023

Nailbiter

Wednesday was my last day in the English 9 classes. 

When I began the classes (oh so long ago--3 1/2 weeks prior) I had requested and received access to the class' gradebooks. (I had to set them up. Link them. And get all the grading that had been done input.) 

The one hiccup was in the transition, the seating charts that Mr. P had made went poof. I had to recreate them. (Usually I keep a copy on paper, but I hadn't had a chance to print out a copy with all the other things I was trying to keep up with.) Yes, there is a way to do seating charts in the attendance software, and it makes taking roll go so much more quickly.

Knowing this, I was a bit paranoid about the gradebooks. Would they go poof when Mr. V got full access? 

There was a way to make a PDF copy. So, Monday evening I did. 

But Tuesday and Wednesday... 

The progress reports had gone out. The students were suddenly very interested in what assignments they were missing. 

(The previous week, they had a good hour of class time--some had longer--to go through their grades, see what was missing, and talk to me about it. Some did. Most spent the time playing games on their Chromebooks.)

So, I was getting late work. Some students hadn't started the class with everybody, so they had assignments that they weren't responsible for. (That's an easy enough fix, but they had to tell me as I only knew who was in the class when I started. I didn't know if they started the first day or later. If later, some of Mr. P's assignments didn't count.) 

By Wednesday I had made multiple adjustments to the gradebook.

Mr. V got his district account set up Wednesday. 

Because of computer access, I couldn't back up the gradebook again from school. I planned to do it from home. I got home, only to find that the classes had been removed from my account. 

And now I was worried. Would I be able to recall every change I had made since Monday? Or did the gradebooks make the transition to Mr. V intact? 

Luckily, I had his cell phone number, so I texted him.

It turned out, they had. And I breathed a huge sigh of relief.

Fully removed from the class, I no longer had to think about it at all. Yay!

(Although, Mr. V doesn't have the right access to take the Google Classrooms for the classes. Yet. That's in process, and I can hold onto them until I can pass them over. He just can't give them digital assignments until then.

And, on Friday, I learned that one lone student hadn't been transferred out of "my" class with the group. I only learned this when the attendance clerk chided me for not submitting attendance. On a day I did not work.)

13 comments:

  1. School sounds way more complicated than when I was a kid. Even more complicated than when my kids went.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The gradebook handoff should not have merited a blog post. But it was just where the crazy was.

      Delete
  2. Technology makes it easier. Until it doesn’t.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day to day is easier. Transferring ownership, not so much.

      Delete
  3. Hi Liz - I don't know how you keep up ... then to be criticised - I hope they realised you'd not been there that day. Crazy world it is! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. What you do, always fighting the technology, and the fact students play games during class time, does not resemble school from my memory in the least. It's a miracle they learn anything, seems like, these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least the games keep them under control. I know, that seems weird, but when they're on games, they don't do the destructive things they did to alleviate boredom before computers. It would be better if they just did what they were supposed to, but these are kids, so that's not going to happen.

      Delete
  5. The complexity of a modern teacher's life. Were things this complex for teachers (just in a different way) 50 years ago? I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 50 years ago I would have handed over an actual book. Easier handoff. But then we would have had to calculate those grades by hand. So, I guess it depends on if you would rather do the math or deal with computers.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.