Friday, September 22, 2023

The Expected Chaos

Back in the day-to-day subbing trenches, on Friday I covered a middle school math class. If you notice the above picture, the teacher (who is about my age) had a chalkboard installed in his room. 

I... do not like chalkboards. And, of course, I was to go over problems with them. Sigh.

In the lesson plans, at the end, Mr. T had written, "Sorry about period 2 :("

So, I knew I was in for it.

Eighth grade support and enrichment. It's an extra math class for students who are bad at math. Which means all the math behavior problems are in one group. 

Did you know that paper airplanes have made a comeback? Yep. And two girls would not stop making them. Or throwing them. After I repeatedly asked them to stop. (I mean, paper airplanes? Substitute teacher? How cliché can you get?)

There was one boy who would not sit still or stay seated. And he got into everything.

Several students were fixated on the classroom decorations. Trying to get to them and play with them. The thing is, Mr. T hasn't really changed his classroom décor in ages. Nothing was new. So, they were just getting into stuff to get into stuff. 

I had dancers. (It's a TikTok thing. Kiddos dance at random times for no reason.) I had loud. I had arguments. 

Oh, and they had a quiz...

Sometimes testing conditions aren't. I let the teacher know this, and I move on.

(What was their quiz on? Problems like -237 + 100.)

Then I had to do this two more times...

But, fourth period walked in, and I could take a deep breath. (They're on block schedule, so I only had periods 2, 4, and 6.) 

Seventh grade math. (Not support and enrichment.) Completely different behavior. Lovely group. 

It's good when I get the awful class out of the way first thing.

19 comments:

  1. The retro classroom. Chalkboards. Paper airplanes. Plus today's lack of respect. A powerful and nightmarish combination for a sub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Support and enrichment is just code for students who are going to goof off. Some are bad at math and need the extra help. And some aren't putting in the effort because they are wasting their time playing. (Well, most probably fall into both groups.)

      Delete
  2. I'm a fan of saving the best for last. ~grin~ And my key chain is adorable. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Oh, and I meant to ask what you dislike about chalkboards. Plus I'm reminded that I want to get out my chalk markers to decorate some things. lol Best wishes!

      Delete
    2. Dust. The sound. Writing with marker on a whiteboard is smoother. After having whiteboards, chalkboards are just icky. They feel wrong. Chalk markers... I have not tried them, but I've seen them, and they might make a chalkboard worth it.

      Delete
  3. Ugh, chalkboards. I thought they were all gone by now. I can hear the chalk squeaking from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Very. Although, he's my age, which shouldn't bother me, but it does?

      Delete
  5. Aw. Every day must be so chaotic and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would agree getting the worst class over with first is the way to go. Glad it worked out that way for you. Airplanes, didn't know kids still knew how to make them. Not sure I remember, but might have to try my hand later, lol. Hope your next sub assignment goes better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said it was a TikTok challenge. And no, they don't know how to make them. Their attempts were quite pitiful.

      Delete
  7. I agree.. always best to get the worst out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like that waring.... "Sorry about period 2 " Long time since i made those paper airplanes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have the patience of a saint! Glad your next class was not quite so challenging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always wondered if you EVER had a good group. Paper airplanes? I never learned to make one. I know it requires certain folds here and there, but I never cared to learn, same with paper footballs. Can't be bad enough you have a challenging class of maybe one or two but you had a full class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my dad taught me to fold paper airplanes. I know I learned as a kid. It's not hard. I could still do it today.

      And yes, I do have good groups. I just don't blog about them because they are boring to blog about.

      Like last Friday. I had one period in the learning center. I had no students.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.