Friday, September 29, 2023

Tag Team

Friday. Eighth grade math. Cotaught. 

I walked in expecting to play support to the regular general ed teacher, but it turned out she was out too. So, it was a two sub day.

Well, we could handle that.

Ms. S and I both read the lesson plans. We divvied up the work. (I'd check their homework. She'd take roll.) I have a math background, so I would take lead in going over the warm up and the homework. She'd keep classroom control while I did that. 

Second period went well. I was elsewhere for fourth period. (Learning center.) She had math support and enrichment. 

When I returned for sixth period, I was not surprised to hear that fourth period had not gone well. (It was only a week prior that I had my own hell in a math support and enrichment.) And several of those students also had math sixth period.

But things go a bit easier with two teachers in the room. I can deal with an issue on one side of the room while the other teacher deals with a problem on the other side. 

We had a couple students playing around. I caught a student copying the practice test they were doing. (Which was only going to hurt the student as no one was checking the practice test for completeness. This was their opportunity to figure out what they needed to learn for the test.) 

Ms. S had taken over keeping track of restroom passes, and I focused on answering math questions. 

"What are you doing over here?" I asked one boy.

"She said I could sit here." 

Considering that Ms. S hadn't been allowing students to move, I was dubious. I got Ms. S's attention and asked if she had let the boy sit in that seat. 

She had not.

Busted.

I mean, if you're going to tell a lie, do you tell one that can so easily be found out? 

Eighth graders... *shakes head* They really don't think sometimes.

12 comments:

  1. It’s a learning experience… how to tell plausible lies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that's not really a skill I want them learning any time soon.

      Delete
    2. That's funny, Liz. Good answer, as they say on Family Feud.

      Delete
  2. I think their 8th grade hormones block their neurotransmitters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking things through is not in a teenager's skillset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the incomplete teenaged brain. Too bad they will get better at lying as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as they're not lying to me so that they can disrupt a classroom...

      Delete
  5. Nice try! He tests the communication between teachers, and assumes that there is none ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Liz, you should totally get a set of chalk markers. :) They work great on all glass and mirrors, even better than the mini chalkboard I bought them for.
    In case you're interested, here's a link to my 2022 purchase:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086TYM8W9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not consider glass or mirrors. There are some old classrooms that have chalkboards kind of to the side (they never removed them from the classes, but they installed whiteboards along side). I couldn't figure out for the longest time how they had "painted" something on them. Then I found out about chalk markers. I figured if I ever did a long-term in one of those classes I'd check the markers out.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.