Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Short Time


On Monday, I knew I was on short time in the long term English 9 assignment. But just how short? 

I had been kept in the loop of the hiring process for the new teacher. I knew when the interviews were. I knew when they were offering the job. I knew when the job had been accepted. And as soon as I got his contact info, I reached out to Mr. V, the new teacher, to let him know what he'd be walking into.

He said the district said he could start as soon as Tuesday.

Monday during third period was when I got the official notification.

We had a two-day transition. I taught the classes while Mr. V figured out what he'd be doing going forward. (The topic of the day was "Fish Cheeks" by Amy Tan.) 

I've left the classes in good hands. And now I'm back to day-to-day subbing. 

10 comments:

  1. I’m sure he appreciated how you took care of the class

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He seemed to. Now that he's been at it for a week, I should ask him how it's going...

      Delete
  2. Glad it worked out smoothly. I hope you get just the amount of subbing jobs you want. Like Goldilocks I guess, not too many or too few. It seems you feast or famine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a whole 'nother story. The reason I took the long-term (slow subbing) is still in effect, although not as bad. Although, I can't really complain as I have been working steady since.

      Delete
  3. And now onward to new adventures (and less stress) for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It must be very satisfying to hand over to someone competent. It must be awful to think all your hard work may soon be undone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My work wasn't undone. I kept the class somewhat under control and then handed it off to the teacher who will be there the rest of the year. I feel like I did my job well. (I never want to hand off a crazy class to a teacher.)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.