Friday, September 15, 2023

Drop Everything

I don't think the ninth graders really understand the concept of other people's time.

It was vocabulary test day. (They have a vocabulary warm-up every day. At the end of the unit, they take a test on those words where they place the words in sentences.) After, I was giving them time to make sure they were caught up with all the work (and checking to make sure I hadn't made any errors in their gradebooks--the grading has been a mess for reasons beyond my control). 

After we finished the test, a student asked if he could go "visit" one of his teachers. I pointed out that she had a class and she wouldn't have time to "visit". He did not see my point.

Seventh period. Class had just started. I was going over the announcements for the day when there was a knock on the (unlocked) door. 

A student from earlier in the day was there. He needed "help" with something. Um... I have a class. I don't have time to stop to help one student while 30 others are waiting for me to teach class.

(If he had come to me at lunch, after school, or before school, that would have been different. Then I could take whatever time he needed.)

I shooed the boy away and went back to my remarks to the current class. (They seemed to think me rude. I guess they didn't want to get their test started.) 

I just... Do they not realize that I can't stop everything for one student when I've got a class? Apparently so, as another boy did that just the previous week.

(The school has hired a new teacher for the class. As soon as his paperwork has cleared, he'll take over the class. Likely, by the time you read this, I'll be out of here and on to other subbing assignments.)

17 comments:

  1. Probably you are right that they don't get yet that their needs don't trump your time or the needs of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, they have not learned this yet. I suppose I shouldn't be as surprised as I am.

      Delete
  2. A positive is that he came for help for school work. Not like he just wanted to "visit" you! I wonder if that student was going to drop in on the teacher, or skip out somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He might have planned to skip out. I would find that preferable to him just going to visit the teacher.

      Delete
  3. I keep hearing how 9th readers are the worst

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get much of a chance to hear them read, but their emails are atrocious.

      Delete
  4. I mean. Obviously they didn't want to take the test. They'd prefer you to do anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh... As for the key chain. No worries! You do great work and I still enjoy my fingerless gloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll get that in the mail tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. Well, you knew it was me commenting. Well done. I'm embarrassed at not realizing it counted as anonymous.

      Delete
    3. It happens. Besides, you're the only one waiting on a keychain, so it couldn't've been anyone else ;)

      Delete
  6. Again........wow they really don't understand someone else's time....or they do, and they simply don't care?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I believe it's the former. There's a different attitude when they don't care that they're taking up someone's time, and they're not displaying that.

      Delete
  7. I don't recall being able to simply drop in on a class in progress were it not at the request of another teacher. This new wrinkle in school ways would drive me up a wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand why it's happening, either. It shouldn't be. They shouldn't just be out of class. But some of them are taking a very long time in the bathroom, so I assume that's how they're getting out of class. (If I had remained in the class, there would have been a discussion of when it's appropriate to come to the room to ask questions.)

      Delete
  8. I think most kids think they're the centre of the universe at that age. And some probably fail to unlearn that...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.