Wednesday, September 13, 2023

A Theory

Bianca is in both my first and second periods. On block schedule, that means I start the day with her every school day.

Bianca is in ELD, which means she's not a fluent English speaker. She speaks it well enough to get by, but she's not quite there academically.

Bianca has also been out of class. A lot. 

She asks to use the restroom, and then she's gone a while. She returns to say she was in the health office. She was throwing up.

She's frequently been late. She's been absent. And she's not doing much work. 

She complains of being tired all the time.

On Thursday morning, she approached me before class. She said she might need to leave class quickly if she felt like she needed to throw up. 

And suddenly I had a realization.

I asked Bianca if she needed to go to the health office first. She said she was okay. Later that period she gave me the heads up that she needed to go. A while later, another student alerted me that Bianca had gone to the health office. (Bianca texted her.) 

Bianca's mother has been in contact asking about Bianca's work. Now that I have a theory, I kind of want to give Bianca's mother a heads up without saying it outright. But other things have taken up my time and energy, so I haven't had that follow up yet. 

Bianca is a freshman--fourteen years old. I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, my. That's what I thought too, reading about the tiredness and throwing up. Can the nurse talk to her, or someone at the school who knows her? Although as a freshman I guess no one would yet. I'd hesitate to mention anything to her mother, unless you know she wouldn't react badly, and I mean more than just upset badly. At least in CA she has options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since she's been in the health office frequently, I would hope they would follow up.

      Delete
  2. That's... quite bad. I hope she can get health care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always remember Karen Carpenter's tragic end. My mother was a huge fan of her and her brother's music. Best wishes to this young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe an mental health counselor might be in line for her.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Possibly expecting and only 14. What now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to sign in and realized this posted as Anonymous. Sorry about that!

      Delete
    2. No worries. Blogger's commenting system sucks at the moment.

      I hope she gets some help, although this may be a moot point now. On Monday she had to go to the health office for a pad...

      Delete
  6. Pregnancy is my first thought too. I hope not but...it sounds like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone I told this story to (including the new teacher, who, YAY!, was finally hired and started) had the same thought as you and me.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.