Friday, September 8, 2023

Interruptions That Miss the Point

Last Friday was a long, long day. 

The long-term English 9 assignment has been going fairly well, all things considered. The lesson of the day was "How to Send a Teacher an Email", and it was taking up the whole long period. (The kiddos got antsy which was understandable.)

Sixth period was my last class of the day. And the lesson was going well. I was in the middle of discussing a slide on screen when the classroom door opened.

I recognized the student. I couldn't tell you his name or his period number, but I knew he had been in class earlier in the day. 

Completely oblivious to the full class sitting in their seats, watching, this boy strode across the room to inform me, "I finished the MLA assignment and submitted it in Google Classroom". 

Um, great? 

(The assignment had been due the previous class period, so it was late. Or it had been assigned the previous week. There were two MLA formatting assignments, and I was unclear on which one he was referring to. As I wasn't going to chase it down, especially at that moment, I didn't ask.) 

Message delivered, he strode back out the room, and I continued the lesson.

Freshmen... 

I guess I'm going to have to reiterate that if they want to tell me they've submitted an assignment late they need to email me. I thought I made that clear in the email lesson. (I kind of hit this concept hard: when a student tells me they submitted an assignment, I won't remember, but when I'm going through my emails, I can chase it down and take care of it.) 

18 comments:

  1. They’re learning … but not interrupting class us something he should have already learned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think, right? But alas, he's not the only one who thinks nothing of arriving while I'm teaching a different class.

      Delete
  2. Is this kid a boomer who doesn't believe in technology or something? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the time when we were taught 'how to write letters' in school, and now its upgraded to an email. How technology is taking over the smallest of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, in this case it's because the emails they send us suck. Some are nice and polite and give the needed information. And some are rude and demanding and don't tell us what the student really needs. (Like, "I need help," without specifying what kind.)

      Delete
  4. I have my google classrooms set to email me when something is submitted late, which great for summative assessment, less great when a kid decides to "turn in" every activity from the term in one hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I turned that off when I turned off the thing that alerts me when every assignment is submitted. Since I don't do these long terms all that often, it's not something I think of.

      Delete
  5. Am I ever a museum piece. By 9th grade I had already taken typing and some shorthand. (The shorthand wasn't planned but became necessary when most of the typewriters were stolen mid year and we had to share.) We learned to compose business letters, too. I was thinking that no one I know over age 25 sends emails but now I know better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emails are necessary with so much of their work done online.

      Delete
  6. He must think by telling you face to face all is right in the world? Maybe he thinks that doesn't make it late....who knows what goes on in their heads from time to time. I always enjoy your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how to communicate to them that I'm not going to remember them telling me this, especially when I'm still learning all their names.

      Delete
  7. How strange. And my, how things have changed since I was a high school student. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a different world now. Though I really like my student era before where things are so simple but of course Technology is a big help also.

    JULIE ANN LOZADA BLOG

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.