Wednesday, September 6, 2023

The Vandal

It was my second week in the long-term English assignment, and I was still woefully behind. 

The teacher for the class decided to retire two days before the beginning of the school year. The district installed a long-term sub in the position until they hire a new teacher to take over. The long-term sub, Mr. P, got his very own full-time job, so I took over the position on the eighth day of school. As of the writing of this post, the school has interviewed several applicants, and they will likely offer the job to one of them. Until that teacher starts, the class is mine with all the lesson planning, grading, and classroom control issues that go along with teaching.

It was third period, my prep period, and I was hurriedly trying to get something done as I've just barely been holding on. I'm not sure exactly what I was doing at the time, but I happened to look over at one of the desks, and I noticed the Chromebook.

All classrooms now have a class set of Chromebook computers for student use. I've found it's easier to pass them out in the morning and put them away after the last class of the day. 

Alas, this Chromebook had a new design upon it. This design had not been there when I passed out all the computers before school. 

A student had scratched this into the cover sometime during class.

Deep sigh.

I knew exactly who sat in that seat. The Vandal (as I will now call him here) is a student who isn't very tuned in to school. He had his head down on his desk more than he was paying attention.

(These are things I need to keep on top of, but at the moment I'm just trying to get through the lessons each day. As soon as I catch up, I'll be able to focus on other things.)

Who do I report such a thing to? What do I do with this information?

Luckily, I have people I can ask. I sent a message to the IT guy, so hopefully they can replace this computer or something. And the co-teacher (who wasn't in that class, but I told her about it later) said the student needed to get a referral for this.

I wrote the referral. The above picture was attached. And a day or so later, the Vandal was called out of class and sent to an office. He came back a short time later. I assume he's now aware that his artwork was not appreciated.

Full-time teaching is hard. This is why I'm a sub. 

I now keep a closer eye on the Vandal. He hasn't defaced any other computers lately.

25 comments:

  1. I hope they handled him lightly. Sometimes things leave a scar on the mind of a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a teenager, old enough to know it was wrong. Old enough to know that was school property. Old enough to be held responsible for the cost of replacement. Perhaps our viewpoints differ due to our locations. Here it's more likely he'll be bragging than scarred.

      Delete
    2. I got the referral back. They "discussed" this with him. But it's in the official record, so they can charge him for a replacement. And if he does something similar elsewhere, they'll know it's a pattern.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry you had to deal with this! Hopefully you won't have any more problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it was going smoothly, I'd have nothing to blog about ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh boy, kids aren't perfect little angels. But then neither are we adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes, I think they just don't really think about the consequences. I hope the Vandal learns his lesson and keeps his art on paper and not property that isn't his.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't. It's a developmental stage. That's one of the reasons why I wanted there to be a consequence, so he'd maybe remember that if he wanted to do it again. (I was satisfied with what was done.)

      Delete
  5. Full-time teaching is so hard, and I can't even imagine how tough it is for you to be doing what you're in these circumstances.

    Sorry you're having to deal with a vandal on top of everything else. Glad he hasn't defaced any other computers lately, though.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teachers have to do a lot of jobs and some aren't about getting the subject matter across. Good luck with that vandal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. That's the part I'm scrambling to keep up with.

      Delete
  7. I'm sure it's hard to keep eyes on them all the time. Some kids are just so destructive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't watch them and teach them. Unfortunately.

      Delete
  8. Looks like just surface damage. It could have been much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sound like he has some issue.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember all the carved up wooden desk tops I learned on over the years. This is the modern version, on a piece of equipment paid for by the taxpayers, and I hope the consequence handed out was enough. You don't need this happening on top of everything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If nothing else, the administration knows, so if he does it again somewhere else, they know it's an issue. And they can charge his family if they do that sort of thing.

      Delete
  11. The Vandal sounds like a jerk. Hopefully, you won't have to deal with him much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so tuned out in class, though. I wish I could reach him.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.