Thursday, September 14, 2023

Scrounging Up Desks

It was the Friday before Labor Day, and during my prep period (the last period of the day), I was finishing a bunch of things up before going home. One of my priorities was to create a new seating chart for period five (because of issues the previous day). 

As I was doing this, I went through the add/drop list. This is how we see which students are being moved in and out of various classes. 

(It's been crazy these first few weeks of school. Every day students are moved about for various reasons.) 

That's when I learned that I was getting two new students into fifth period.

The problem? The class already had 35 students. And I only had 35 desks. 

It was late in the day on a Friday. I figured it was a next week problem.

The following Tuesday (Monday was a holiday) I had everything set up for the seating chart change. Except for the two new students. (Who weren't "new". One transferred in from sixth period and one transferred in from second.) I had a table in the back of the room and had them sit there.

I took roll, then I had the two students take the seats of absent students.

I was going to need more desks. 

I asked around. My co-teacher gave me the name of the custodian who I should email. I sent the email.

As I was getting ready to leave Tuesday, I ran into the department chair and mentioned the problem. She noted that another teacher had left four desks outside her classroom.

I went to investigate.

It turned out that that teacher was getting rid of the desks as she didn't need them. They were outside for a custodian to dispose of. Free game. I absconded with them. (Well, not really. It's not absconding if you have permission.)

I left the desks in the back of the room and went home. (We're on block schedule, so I wouldn't see fifth period on Wednesday.) 

Wednesday, prep period, I did a little furniture rearranging. I knew where the desks would fit, but it took some maneuvering to get them into place. 

Thursday, the two students waited in the back of the room when they arrived. I motioned to them and indicated that there were two new desks. Just for them.

Mission accomplished.

(Why they keep moving students into fifth period is a mystery. I have 15 students in fourth period. Second and sixth period each have 25. And seventh period has 30. It's ridiculous to have that one huge period.)

17 comments:

  1. Just another annoyance to add to your teaching duties. I never realized that teachers are responsible for procuring desks. As for your supersized period, no theories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sure I could have complained to someone in administration and had them find desks for me, but I think it would have taken me much, much longer to get it done. Like, I would still be waiting.

      Delete
  2. That division of students make little sense, but there must be some reason. Maybe a needed class is only available during the time you would have room? Or an elective even? It would be nice to be a student in a class of only 15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has to be other class conflicts. That's the only thing that makes sense.

      Delete
  3. That is crazy.too many in one room but at least you got it worked out. Why do you have to fi d the desks and why didn't the janitor reply to your email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure whose job it would be to find me more desks. As for the janitor, I have no idea why I never got a reply.

      Delete
  4. Isn't there a limit to each class size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 40? I've seen classes go as high as 40. So, I'm lucky, really.

      Delete
  5. At my school, everyone was crammed into one period because their other classes couldn't be switched around. Apparently fifth period is the one everyone has some flexibility to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 37 kids seems like way too many in one class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 37 kids in one class…. Ugh. t least they all have desks

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to wonder what these custodians do, exactly.

    Best wishes, Darla M Sands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They clean the classrooms. Really. I've had days where the room is trashed to come back the next day to have it pristine. I appreciate that so, so much.

      Delete
  9. Yep, a big group. I know what it's like to teach 37 students, and same problem with tables and chairs ;))

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will admit that something I love about my state education system here in Australia is that we have capped classes! It is in our award and it is published!

    I teach high school and Years 7-10, my classes are capped at 30, my seniors (Year 11 and 12) are capped at 24 (I will voluntarily take an extra kid or two into my senior classes if it means no one misses out, but that is my choice).

    For tech classes, things in a workshop, ceramics, those kinds of subjects, they are capped even lower! (Where I live subjects like Music, Vis Arts, Tech etc. students have to do a mandatory minimum of 100 hours across Years 7 and 8 of high school)

    https://www.nswtf.org.au/news/2019/11/10/how-many-students-should-be-in-my-class/ This is the link from one of our Education unions, but it is written into our award.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They attempted to limit class size a couple decades ago, but they had to suspend that as they couldn't maintain it. Yeah, we know they don't back up the schools here as they do elsewhere in the world.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.