Friday, July 29, 2016

Logistics

I'm a guest over at Chrys Fey's blog today. She asked me about where this blog got its name among other things. It's here. I'd love it if you went over and said hi. 


They don't give subs keys during summer school. This is for a very specific reason. They don't have spares.

This wouldn't be much of a problem normally. Security opens the door for me. I don't leave the room. The door is locked when I leave. Simple.

But, the health teacher gave the class projects. That they needed computers for. In a computer lab that's also locked.

(This is way more interesting and engaging than having them read the book and answer questions on paper, so I'm good with the assignments. Just not the getting there.)

Our first project was the AIDS/HIV thing I mentioned earlier. As I explained their assignment, they got ready to go. Not sure how long it would take us to get there (it wasn't far, but I had things to collect before we left, and they had to pack up their stuff), I said that security could take his time getting to us.

We got over to the lab and waited. And waited. And waited.

Um...

Finally, after way too long in the heat of the day, I decided to call again. (I may rail against cell phones, but mine saved me more than once this week.) Security got there very quickly after that. Whew.

He explained. When he was told he didn't have to hurry, he got talking to someone, and forgot about us.

Naturally.

But I learned my lesson. After that, I didn't say anything about taking his time. For it didn't take us long at all to get to the computer lab.

30 comments:

  1. The lab is in an outside building? I wouldn't want to wait in the heat either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its scary that security forgot about you guys, but glad it worked out in the long run.

    I did see your interview over at Chrys :) Very nicely done!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not scary. Kinda expected. I learned my lesson.

      Delete
  3. Oh goodness, glad you had your phone and called again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pain! Too bad they don't have some extra key sets floating around for subs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! At least he got over there quickly after you called.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice that he forgot....oh brother but I bet he won't do that again...at least with you. I would be a bear if I had to wait outside in the heat. I did see you over at Chrys's blog and it was a great interview

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And yeah, he was more careful when I had to call him after this.

      Delete
  7. Bugger. Seems like a skeleton key might be the answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But trusting a sub with a skeleton key... I mean, they'd trust me ;)

      Delete
  8. I've found that telling someone to "take your time" usually backfires. You are usually pushed to the bottom of the list, sometimes more than once, so I use the phrase sparingly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I learned that one the hard way. I didn't do it again.

      Delete
  9. Ahhh how easily people forget what they're supposed to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - well we all do it don't we ... but a group being forgotten - bet he won't do it again ... but your attitude shone through ... cheers and I've come over from Chrys ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. What did we do before cell phones!!! Think of all the disasters that could have been averted. Glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Cell phones are so wonderful, when used properly.

      Delete
  12. I ask the same question Kathleen just did before me. So often I'm stuck and now all I have to do is pull out my trust phone and I'm unstuck. Glad yours came in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Liz, at least you had your cell phone. Every time we watch a movie or TV show episode whenever the camera zooms in on a cell phone left in a room then you know something horrible is going to happen. I'm always like yeah, I didn't see that coming and who REALLY forgets their cell phone? I just can't imagine that actually happening, you know? Oh well, glad all worked out in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry you had to wait so long to get into the lab. Is the lab a stand alone building? Because it sounds like it when you say you had to wait in the heat? At least this blog post wasn't complaining about hard to handle students! I imagine waiting in the heat could lead to some badly behaved students. How long did you have to wait?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern California schools. All doors open to the outside. I always wondered what those big school buildings with halls and staircases were like.

      We weren't outside more than ten minutes. Things could have gone a whole lot worse.

      Delete
  15. He got to talking to someone? Not needing to hurry just meant he didn't have to drop everything to rush over, but it sure meant to start getting ready to go. Jeez.

    I enjoyed having you on my blog! The past few days were crazy so I couldn't be around as much as I had wanted to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, well, I didn't make that mistake again.

      Thanks for having me on your blog. I wasn't around much either. I was out all day Friday, so I didn't stop by until Saturday. Ah well. That's what's so great about being able to schedule blog posts.

      Delete
  16. Don't you just despise careless people? I hate myself a little more every day for welcoming this kind of thoughtless treatment via my own kind politeness. One day I hope to be just rude enough to get decent service everywhere. And I'm not even a stereotypical southern bell!

    Best wishes, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame myself for saying he could take his time. I didn't make that mistake again, and we weren't left waiting again.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.