Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Well-Paid

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

What if farm workers (those that do the harvesting--the hard, back-breaking work) made the best money?

9 comments:

  1. You’d have more people interested in those jobs, that’s for certain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be content if the living conditions were at least better for some of these migrant workers. ~nods~ Some stories I've heard left me shuddering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're kind of super necessary, essential workers, unlike so many professions. And it requires unbelievably hard work. I don't know how much the actual landowners who employ them make on the crops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That would be nice, however, just imagine the cost of our food.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately the owners need to make the most so they can pay those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would be more fair to the workers, but it might also make food unaffordable for more people. Isn't it a terrible thing that, under our current food producing system, it's either fair wages for producers (including our nation's small farmers, who work hard for little return, in addition to migrant labor) or affordable food for all?

    ReplyDelete
  7. There need to be more of conversation on wages. Maybe we need basic income.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.