Monday, August 21, 2023

A Finish

Apologies. Last week's post wasn't meant as a mystery that I expected anyone to try to solve. I hadn't done much in the way of yarn (knit and/or crochet), but I wanted to post something. And I didn't have a lot of time to construct a post.

If I'd had time, I would have searched out the previous posts where I talked about it, shuffled through my old photos, and perhaps even posted a link to the video instructions. 

(Instead, I went out to have a nice dinner at a semi-local Italian restaurant.) 

But now that it's finished...

...and I have a bit more time, I can do all of that.

About five years ago, I stumbled across a video pattern of a flip-flop keychain. The video was in Italian, but the finished item was so cute, I had to try it. That link goes to the post where I explain all of this, plus the video is embedded in it, too.

I went a little crazy making them, and I sold a few out of my Etsy shop at the time. (They are no longer listed there, but if anyone wants one, let me know and I can set up a listing.) 

I had made one for me, and it's been my car keychain ever since. But back in October, it broke. I was able to repair it, but I knew it was time to make a new one. I just hadn't gotten around to it.

Until now.

It took way longer than I expected. I already said that it took me five tries to get the back done. It only took two or three to get the blue made, but the "shoelace" I had to remake three or four times. 

(Luckily, I got sucked into 11.22.63, so I wasn't scrambling for something to watch on TV while I worked.)

In the end, I modified the pattern so the "shoelace" (the orange strap on top) fit better. (If only I'd done that originally.) I'm quite pleased with the end result. 

I should probably get cracking on Christmas projects, but I just can't seem to get interested in anything. Perhaps when things cool off? Although, normally, it doesn't cool off until October at minimum, so that could be a while.

22 comments:

  1. The flipflop is very cute. I need to get started on Christmas gifts, too, but haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't foresee it actually happening, but I can talk like it might ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Liz - well that's a delight to see ... no wonder you wanted to re-create it ... congratulations - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's adorable. I figured it wouldn't stay an orange pear! Hope your weather hasn't been too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, hurriquake, so... Things are a mess today, but we didn't get the bad flooding or winds.

      Delete
  4. Stay safe out there, what with the world trying to erase southern California.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this and now remember this from before, I like the colour combo. Stay safe because, it seems, California is getting clobbered in every way one can think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not badly enough for them to cancel school, so not too terrible where I'm at. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. Cute flipflop keychain, it's a great idea for the car as it's not heavy. Well done with the orange straps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That flip flop looks nice. I hope your area wasn't badly affected by the tropical storm. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how cute! How much do you charge for these? I really want one. :D Meanwhile, this reminds me of a blog post I've been intending to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to go back and look. (It's been a few years.) Right now I'd say $12, but I'll negotiate. (Although, it will be a couple weeks before I can get to it. I just started a long-term subbing assignment that has taken all my time.)

      Delete
    2. No worries. And $12 seems reasonable to me.

      Delete
    3. Email me: mllelizka [at] gmail [dot] com. We can set something up.

      Delete
  9. I feel like I should apologize for thinking you were making a pear. I love it! The colors go perfectly, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there's amigurumi fruit. It's a thing. So, a pear is absolutely doable.

      Delete
  10. I love these little crochet thongs!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.