Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Best Case Scenario

It was Friday of the first full week of school, and things had been slow. So, when I got a call from the sub caller asking if I was interested in taking on a long-term subbing assignment, I was ready to consider it. 

I started last Monday.

It was the third week of school, the second full week. (The first day of school was a Thursday, so the first week consisted of two days.) And as they do when they can, it was a "transition" day. That is, the sub who had the class prior and I were there together.

Mr. P explained what was happening to each class. He had found out that he got the job that he had interviewed for the prior Thursday on that Friday. (Only one class met after he found out, so they had been told on the Friday.) So while he was leaving, I was there to take over the class. 

"This is the best case scenario, what I was hoping would happen." 

Mr. P and I have switched classes a couple times. This is the last time we'll do it, though, as Mr. P finally got a full-time teaching job. So, Mr. P explained what he had done, we swapped keys, and he was out and on to his next adventure.

So, for the next little while, until they hire a teacher who will have this class until the end of the school year (and likely beyond), I will be teaching a freshman English class. 

I almost got through the start of a school year without taking on a vacant class. Almost. 

(The teacher who had the class before retired two days before the start of the school year. I don't know why, precisely, but I have a reasonable guess. Mr. P had planned to teach the class until they hired a teacher, but he got the job he didn't think he'd get. It is with the district, so that made the whole transition easier.)

18 comments:

  1. Retiring two days before the start of the school year made it rather difficult for the school. I have to assume, and hope, it was necessary, and not just rude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my theories, but I'd rather not air them in public.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like retirement was a sudden decision. I can’t help but wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for getting a class, at least, for a while

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be happy when it's over. I've been slammed with the work of getting things set up for them.

      Delete
  4. Sudden retirement isn't usually for a good reason. Or maybe it was burnout. But at least you have a steady assignment for a while. Probably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd best not air my theories in public. And yes, at least I'm not waiting for my phone to chime any more.

      Delete
  5. I hear there is a shortage of teachers.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I can only be in one class for 30 days or less. So, I'll be done on October 1st no matter what happens.

      Delete
  7. Hi Liz - well I guess looking at your reply to Alex - it's not the easiest situation for you to be in. But I'm glad you've got a month of being in that class. Good luck - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, you have a long term assignment. Hope you like teaching English and the students aren't too much of a pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah well... At least I have fodder for the blog next week.

      Delete
  9. Is there any chance you'll get the class permanently? Or do you prefer being a substitute and having different classes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. I don't have the right credential. If I wanted a permanent job, I'd have to get the right credential (and then I'd be teaching math or science). I love the flexibility and variety of subbing.

      Delete
  10. What an abrupt change. I hope the kids take it well and everything goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things are going about as well as expected. I'm being firm with my expectations, so the classes haven't gone crazy, which is my main goal.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.