Wednesday, August 16, 2023

Newbies

Last Thursday was the first day of school. I only got one gig for Friday. 

But, it was at the continuation high school, so instead of it being the second day of school, it was their 18th. 

And while things are usually pretty slow this time of year, I have noticed that I've been missing a lot of assignments. Alerts keep popping up on my phone, but by the time I check, the assignment is gone. I mean, I immediately check, and someone has already grabbed it. That quick.

I miss the old-fashioned sub caller. I was at the top of her call list, so I got first pick. Ah, technology...

When I checked in to the office that Friday, I got a chance to talk to the site secretary. She said they've been getting a lot of brand new subs at the school. 

Apparently, the district hired 50 new subs.

On the one hand, that's great. You might have noticed from my posts last school year that things were very busy for us subs. We need the extra help so more teachers are covered on the daily. (So many teachers were period subbed so frequently last year. That is a bad thing.)

(One of the reasons the district was so short of subs last year was due to the pay. They finally gave us raises--which has been nice--so they've been able to attract more subs to the district, too.) 

But right now that means a lot of people for few gigs. 

Although, the newbie subs have been driving the staff crazy. They haven't been taking attendance. They've let the kiddos get away with things they shouldn't have. And they've been nervous.

I remember being a newbie sub. This stuff will pass. They'll get better. Or they'll quit.

Or, they'll stop going to the continuation high school, and I'll pick up those jobs. 

Things might be slow for a bit. But they'll pick up. They always do. 

(I might do more weeks like this one--where I write about one subbing day over three posts. Hey, it's better than me telling you about what I'm watching on TV.)

19 comments:

  1. I watched the new Justified Primeval. It is not as good as the original. If you haven't watched it, I recommend the later. I hope a few of those subs decide to quit so you are not short changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure once things pick up, I'll be wishing for weeks like this one. It's just slow at the beginning of the school year.

      Delete
  2. I can only imagine a nervous new sub being easily identified by the students! Like a predator can "smell" the weakest in a herd of prey. So, something like that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Very early. If I'm not busy by this time in September, then I'll worry.

      Delete
  4. Strange how paying people more money attracts them to a job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey...ibtell ya what I watched on TV. Mind you, I'm not exactly Ms. Excitement...lol. I think you're right....many will realize this is not for them. Funny, I heard teachers in Toronto...or could be all of Ontario are ready to strike again just before classes start. I don't know what they want this time. Our teachers make, on average, $60K plus per yr.they used to be able to store their sick days...one teacher used all her sick days in a row, got full pay and then retired. She collected for 3 yrs!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably want more planning time and smaller class sizes. The administration packs those classes, so it's harder to give students individualized attention.

      Delete
  6. we were all once a newbie at something, at some point in our life and its always good when we remember that and act on it. Remembering, that they will get past all this and move on to be productive at what they do. I remember being the newbie on several jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I did some stoopid things my first year as a sub. It happens.

      Delete
  7. I can’t imagine being a newbie sub. The jitters, hopefully, will pass soon and you can return to more assignments. With that number of new hires I suspect the shakeout period will be shorter than normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps. Of course, they all probably work for multiple districts, so that'll limit what assignments they take as well.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you received a raise. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.