Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Hidden in Plain Sight

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

While considering some sci-fi tropes concerning extraterrestrial life and why we haven't met any aliens, I had a strange thought:

What if the reason we've never been visited by aliens from other worlds is because we have been deliberately hidden from them?

Why were we hidden? How? These are for-instances I'm not going to specify (at least for today. I might revisit this question another week).

7 comments:

  1. One possibility is that we are considered so toxic by other intelligent life forms that we are under a galactic quarantine - visits and contacts with us are forbidden. Another possibility is that all intelligent life self destructs before they can achieve long distance space travel, hence, there is no space faring intelligent life out there to be in contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Either they may view us as food and we are being protected or…we are such a selfish, dumb ass world that we can’t hurt others the way we hurt animals and the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an interesting twist. Maybe one of the other alien races hid us to hide their mistake ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me think of the animated film "Titan AE", which I enjoy immensely. :D The ending is particularly fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to think that we have been protected by some sort of cosmic shield to keep us safe from any potential alien threat. Haha! And our own governments and higher powers have worked together to create this 'cloak of invisibility'!

    Love the fun question!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.