Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Ten Minute Coverage

The second semester starts today, so I'm back to posting about my subbing adventures. This week's posts all happened before winter break.

On Tuesday, I managed to catch a gig, which was great as it was finals week. The teacher I was subbing for had a first period prep, so I was just sitting in her classroom, trying to keep from being bored, when the phone rang. 

Could I cover a first period? It wasn't going to be for the full first period, just a half hour or so.

We get paid extra for covering extra periods, so of course I took it. I headed across campus.

It was French class. As the students arrived, I asked them about their final. They had no idea if they were having a final. (The time allotted for their final was that period.) 

I was going to tell them to look over the material so they'd be ready for their final. But, since they weren't sure, I told them they could spend their time going over material for any of their finals. (Luckily it was first period, so the finals had just started.)

It's hard to deal with a class when there are no lesson plans. But of course there were no lesson plans as the teacher was just running late, not missing the whole period. 

So, I started off by taking roll. By the time I was ready to settle in (as the kiddos had followed my instruction and many of them appeared to be looking over notes or quizzing each other with flash cards), Mme. F walked in. 

Whew.

All in, I was in class for maybe ten minutes. Well, okay, then.

(Mme. F got stuck in traffic. Something about a shooting and a detour.)

11 comments:

  1. "A shooting and a detour" should not be something you hear in conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Although, detour is something that comes up a lot.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I was told she wouldn't be long. She wasn't.

      Delete
  3. "They had no idea they were having a final." Something's wrong there! How can an entire class not know it was finals week?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They knew it was finals week. Some teachers don't give finals or they give the finals early.

      Delete
  4. Do you mean they wouldn't have a final because the teacher wasn't there, meaning it was postponed? Or that they just weren't told if they were having one or not???

    ReplyDelete
  5. A shooting and a detour. All in a day's commute in our everyday world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Wouldn't want to happen upon a shooting.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry..shooting snd a detour...wow. it's the norm in the U.S. I guess. Mind you, I hear about shootings and stabbings in Toronto every day now. Hope you got paid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not really the norm. I mean, shootings do happen, but not necessarily on the way to work.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.